I'm about to pull the trigger on a Mazda5 (sport, 6 speed manual) on Friday

socialcarpet

Banned
:
2014 Mazda5 Sport 6 speed manual
Super jazzed guys. After about 8 test drives of different vehicles, small SUV's, hatchbacks etc, the 5 is my favorite of them all. I know it's a little long in the tooth, but I don't care. It just drives so well and it so perfectly suited to my needs, I was almost certain it was what I'd get after my first test drive.

So, I'll be going in on Friday, armed with a TrueCar report and ready for battle. (whistle)

Any advice or anything cool you guys want to tell me? Any recommendations?

The only options I'm getting are Sirius radio and some all weather floormats for now I think, unless there's something else great you think I should consider. Kind of like to have some bump and scrape protection too. Like door edge guards and side bump strips...

I did have two questions. I live in Florida and I'm a little concerned the A/C might not be powerful enough for this climate. I plan to get a nice dark tint to help it out a little though. Any thoughts on that?

Also, the stereo did not sound great to me...I can live with it, but I would like to upgrade while keeping the factory head unit. Has anyone attached an amp for more power to one of these and upgraded their speakers while sticking with the original head unit? How do you guys find the radio screen? Works well for navigating MP3's and Sirius radio stations?

Thanks in advance. REALLY looking forward to joining your ranks. I can hardly wait!

Welcome

I have 30% tint all the way around. No issues with A/C cooling.

L.A. IS NOT FL!

OP, I rented a car in Orlando & took it to the Keys. It was refreshing to find that Air Conditioning actually WORKS when there is moisture in the air! Anyway, my point is that I complain ALL THE TIME (here and elsewhere) that the dark Phantom Blue paint, black interior and typical Japanese AC unit make driving life in AZ summers hard, even with 5% tint. Well, after leaving AZ in our worst month (June) and heading to FL, driving all over the state & then coming back to AZ, I can tell you that automotive AC units are MUCH less effective out here than in the true "Sunshine State" so as long as you can steer clear of dark paint+black interior, you should be just fine.

BTW, This AC unit is not any worse than the AC in any Honda I have ever been in. I'd rather walk than be in a Toyota, so I cannot report how it compares that way, but Nissan wasn't any better either.

Last edited:
L.A. IS NOT FL!

I realize that, having spent a week in Miami few weeks back. There is a reason all cars in FL have 5% tint.

No Japanese cars (aside from a Lexus CT-best Japanese AC) will come close to a Escalade/Suburban AC.

But since he is buying the car already on Friday, tinting + AC will be tolerable.

No Japanese cars (aside from a Lexus CT-best Japanese AC) will come close to a Escalade/Suburban AC.

My benchmarks are a 91 Subaru Legacy (130hp, but R-12) and the 04 V70 (250hp 5-banger turbo, R-134 :( )
Both blow cold like well, not going to complete that but use your imagination.

My benchmarks are a 91 Subaru Legacy (130hp, but R-12) and the 04 V70 (250hp 5-banger turbo, R-134 :( )
Both blow cold like well, not going to complete that but use your imagination.

I had a 1991 Subaru GL-10. A/C wasn't great.

Bought the 5 on Friday, so far I love it. No problems with A/C either. It's been very hot and muggy here and the AC gets cold enough to hang meat in there after 4-5 minutes. The rest of the car is dynamite, just like I thought it would be. I got an amazing deal too. Almost $3000 under invoice! Out the door after taxes, tags, fees and interest on the loan, the total price came out to around $19500. I'm very pleased with that. Great car!

Ah yes, of course.. no real glamour shots yet, but here's one photo. Bone stock right now except for the 20% Llumar tint. I have Wet Okole seat covers on the way too and plans that go well beyond all that...

jxvEswb.jpg

Nice, I love wet okole. Great stuff. I cheaped out and got cover king though since wet okole is twice as much

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Back