"Mazda5 to be phased out for U.S. in 2015." - Automotive News

The Mazda 5 may be done, but I'm also hearing that a lot of what is being said in the linked article is hearsay and not accurate, even the Speed3 rumor. Until I see more reliable information, I'm taking this article with a grain of salt.

Although I love my 5, cause it's unique, I'll be honest, I would love a Ford S-Max and would prefer it.

Well, so much for being hearsay. I got sent the link for the article from someone in the know at Mazda with the note: Possible future Mazda line-up.
I'm excited they may be more serious than I'd originally thought about bringing back mazdaspeed. We'll see.

We had it, and the 6 hatch, and nobody bought it.

My wife's grandmother has an '05 6 Wagon. It was hit a couple years back and insurance wanted to total it. She loved the car so much and was somehow able to get the insurance to fix it.

Although I love my 5, cause it's unique, I'll be honest, I would love a Ford S-Max and would prefer it.

Agree on the S mAx.

What happened to the CMax? WHy is that so ugly? To me Ford looks frumpy in the rear, but I don't know anything else about it.

I do REALLY like the FOrd Transit Connect passenger. Saw a couple of women driving them... i like it!

Personaly I prefer wagons to the Mazda 5 (if you don't need the 3rd row). When the Acura TSX wagon was comign out, I was really hoping it woudl come with 3 pedals. Would have been fun.

Aside from that, unless you have a CTS-V or AMGE63 coin, very few fun wagons around anymore.

Though the 3 series with the awd/manual trans seem fun

Last edited:
I looked at a transit connect yesterday, was set up as 7 passenger had a bit more room behind the 3rd row and more width in all 3 rows compared to the MZ5. Pretty basic XLT for about $27k. I like it.

Not sure why the C-Max came out ugly. But what really did it for me was it's hybrid only drivetrain, no thanks.

Oh and don't Volvo wagons come any more manuals?

I looked at a transit connect yesterday, was set up as 7 passenger had a bit more room behind the 3rd row and more width in all 3 rows compared to the MZ5. Pretty basic XLT for about $27k. I like it.

The Transit SWB is shorter and the LWB is longer than the 5.

The Transit SWB is shorter and the LWB is longer than the 5.

Didn't see a SWB there but I imagine it is 2 row only. Interesting thing about this one is that it was assembled in Spain.

Sad to see there won't be a new MZ5. If they brought out a new one on the new platform that had just a touch more room and refinement (very likely if it were to have happened) I could see us getting another one. We plan to keep this one around until it dies.

My wife and her friends think the MZ5 is sporty, and it is compared to the SUVs and minivans everyone else is driving. The new Ford might possibly feel sporty to drive, but it definitely doesn't look the part in any way.

Last edited:
Not sure why the C-Max came out ugly. But what really did it for me was it's hybrid only drivetrain, no thanks.

07 was Volvo's last American MT wagon & the C30 was the last American MT period.

I can't seem to like the FOrd Flex. I like the sliding doors.

I havne't inspected a transit connect in person, but looked nice on the road. Hot women drivesr, didn't harm the image of course.

I love the Ford Flex in theory, boxy wagon with a twin turbo V6. I couldn't swallow the price tag.

I think when it comes time to replace the 5 in 7-10 years, I'm buying whatever electric van Nissan makes, if they make a consumer version. I'm digging the e-NV200 - http://www.nissanusa.com/future-and-concept-vehicles/e-nv200

I would of course pickup a 90s Land Cruiser / LX450 or a Nissan Armada or something for a long range / tow / camping vehicle or go pure electric if the infrastructure supports it.

What happened to the CMax? WHy is that so ugly? To me Ford looks frumpy in the rear, but I don't know anything else about it.

Personaly I prefer wagons to the Mazda 5 (if you don't need the 3rd row). When the Acura TSX wagon was comign out, I was really hoping it woudl come with 3 pedals. Would have been fun.

Though the 3 series with the awd/manual trans seem fun
the 3 series wagon would been the ultimate hipster dad machine, but DAMNIT there is NO room in the rear. NONE. It's like they don't want you to raise a family with it cuz toddlers would be booting the hell of your seatback. Ditto to the TSX wagon, the trunk space is almost useless due to the narrow rear and low rear roof line. (I think all of us m5 owners have test-driven the exact same cars before buying the m5).

the transit connect is awesome in concept, but really overpriced for what it is (an euro delivery van). if i was stupid enough to have a 3rd, i'm going with that.

blame ford for the current volvo all-slush box. i would've totally been in a c-max if it had a 3rd row ala m5, especially because the plug-in gets you a carpool lane sticker in California. maybe we'll go take a look at it when the prius lease expires...

Back