2008 auto transmission oil leak, kind of, HELP!

slik5

:
2015 Mazda 3 Sport
Was driving up some steep mountain hills at normal speed. I had to use the manual shift to stay in 3rd gear or else it was shifting constantly 3-4 gears. 3/4 up the twisty and hot, 105 degrees Fahrenheit weather I stopped cause of oil smell. Looked under and the transmission was leaking oil. I let it cool down and checked the oil level and it had actually too much oil. Once it cooled down I drove home with no more leaks.

So question, does the transmission have a breather or some type of pressure relief valve?

There is an atmosphere vent on top. If the fluid was extremely hot it could have expanded to the point of coming out the vent. Recheck level at normal operating temp. If it's low that's a good indication it was expanded from heat. After that workout I would seriously consider changing the fluid out.

Thanks Sir!

I checked the level at that moment of overheating and it was really high. The used car place I bought it from did a drain and refill on the transmission. I doubt they used good oil, I think that's why it overheated like that, is a synthetic oil the way to go?

FWIW, I'm having great results with redline so far. I can't remember how many miles this drain and fill has on it, but I looked the other day and it's still nice and pink.

Everyone has their preference. I would suggest Castrol IMV for the cheap solution and Amsoil as the high end. No reason to use in between.

I'm waiting for 20k before I post my opinion (hint: good stuff).

Thanks for the replies!

I drained and refilled with Mobil 1 ATF today, exactly 3 1/2 quarts. As for where the oil came out of, the dipstick has a vent channel. Oil level is right on the money cold and hot. My 5 lurges hard from 3-4 gear, maybe on one of those times going uphill the oil pressurized and came out from the vent tube. Or many it simply had cheap oil, or worse the wrong one.

My 5 lurges hard from 3-4 gear, maybe on one of those times going uphill the oil pressurized and came out from the vent tube. Or many it simply had cheap oil, or worse the wrong one.
that does not sound good. I would highly recommend flushing out all of the old stuff. Would not be surprised it has the wrong fluid. If you can drain it, you can flush it.

You don't "need" to drop the pan.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-Share-your-experience-on-the-Mz5!&highlight=

Back