M5s marketed incorrectly?

Are Grand Caravans reliable for the long term? The curernt design is so boring.

The Pentastar 3.6-liter + 6-speed transmission should be reliable. But, carpet quality isn't very good, a couple little clips here and there that are meh. Overall I find nothing that should be too problematic down the road.

You should see all the obese diabetic children in my hospital...
Sure, but there are plenty of healthy children who would fit. It doesn't have to be standard equipment, but it should just be an option for those who need it. Like if you have kids and their friends and need to just take them home from school or to the park or something.

If you have a bunch of very obese kids then the mz5 isn't a good fit,even in the rear seats.

For me, i suspect my wife should fit in that middle seat. Not ideal for long trips, but just going somewhere for a short trip should be ok.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Yea it may fit kids but with recommendations of using boosters up until xxx weight, I doubt a 5 could fit a booster in the middle, which means it wouldn't really fit an adult. So logistically, it doesn't make sense for them to offer it in the US.

The Pentastar 3.6-liter + 6-speed transmission should be reliable. But, carpet quality isn't very good, a couple little clips here and there that are meh. Overall I find nothing that should be too problematic down the road.

Eff the carpet. I mean trans/motor? Can those go 150-200k miles no problem?

Sure, but there are plenty of healthy children who would fit. It doesn't have to be standard equipment, but it should just be an option for those who need it. Like if you have kids and their friends and need to just take them home from school or to the park or something.

If you have a bunch of very obese kids then the mz5 isn't a good fit,even in the rear seats.

For me, i suspect my wife should fit in that middle seat. Not ideal for long trips, but just going somewhere for a short trip should be ok.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Your wife sounds hot

Your wife sounds hot

Sorry, no pics!

Seriously though she sat in the sienna 8th seat from LA to SF. It wasn't very comfortable obviously, but when the choice is leave someone out or using a small seat... She has a petite frame so the smaller seats work for her. She has gained some weight though since our child... She finally broke 100 lbs.

For those that aren't familiar :

http://youtu.be/KQ_sT0bmlYE

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:
Sorry, no pics!

Seriously though she sat in the sienna 8th seat from LA to SF. It wasn't very comfortable obviously, but when the choice is leave someone out or using a small seat... She has a petite frame so the smaller seats work for her. She has gained some weight though since our child... She finally broke 100 lbs.

For those that aren't familiar :

http://youtu.be/KQ_sT0bmlYE

No pics necessary, I have a vivid imagination :p

I didn't know about the Sienna 8th seat...makes sense.

My wife really wanted a Sienna SE and we test drove one. Pricing was way too high and dealerships were douchey. Also the Sienna is so massive it makes the Grand Caravan seem small.

I have to say, I always liked the Oddy MORE than the Sienna. However, the current design Sienna I like it way more the Oddy.

The Sienna SE speaks to me. I don't know why. I know its massive, I know its not fun to drive..but there is something about it. I don't like the clear lights (ricey), but like everything else about it.

If I could get myself to spend that kind of $$ on a kid hauler, I would do it. I just cant justify it for the 2 nuisances in my life.

BUt it really is the Lexus LS of people movers...

Though when I am in Asia, we use a Toyota Alphard, and THAT thing is AMAZING!

I don't like the current gen oddy either. And I can't get over all the tranny issues Honda has. I know it isn't on all cars, but seems to pop up quite a bit.

^^
Agree 100%

I had a first gen GS-R Integra (B17), 2 90s Civic Si Hatch, CRX, Accord, 2 Wagovans, S2000... Used to LOVE Hondas.

Tranny stuff has turned me off. And like you I can't warm up to Oddy these days.

I don't like the current gen oddy either. And I can't get over all the tranny issues Honda has. I know it isn't on all cars, but seems to pop up quite a bit.

I agree as well. I can't get over the goofy looking front end face and the odd body line at the C-pillar. Which btw if you haven't seen it yet here is the link to the Odysseys IIHS SOL crash test which supposedly faired better then our MZ5s but I wouldn't completely agree. Look at how aft of the C-pillar right where that stupid weird line is buckles and completely throws both the slider and front door off frame. Here you go for your viewing enjoyment...
http://youtu.be/Lz2lAbAM-mc

^^
Agree 100%

I had a first gen GS-R Integra (B17), 2 90s Civic Si Hatch, CRX, Accord, 2 Wagovans, S2000... Used to LOVE Hondas.

Tranny stuff has turned me off. And like you I can't warm up to Oddy these days.

I am not sure how Honda is considered so reliable. They have had tranny issues going on and off for many years. The only people I know who have had tranny issues were Honda /acura

I agree as well. I can't get over the goofy looking front end face and the odd body line at the C-pillar. Which btw if you haven't seen it yet here is the link to the Odysseys IIHS SOL crash test which supposedly faired better then our MZ5s but I wouldn't completely agree. Look at how aft of the C-pillar right where that stupid weird line is buckles and completely throws both the slider and front door off frame. Here you go for your viewing enjoyment...
http://youtu.be/Lz2lAbAM-mc

Small overlap test is bs anyway. Not many people are going to hit a solid object at the left 25% of the car going straight into it. I am assuming if a driver hits a pole on the drivers side, he would have already tried to avoid it and most likely sides wipe it. If he is going head on, it is more likely to go near the middle in which case there is the engine between the pole and passenger compartment. In the driver's side 25%, there is not much in the engine compartment.

Last edited:
I am not sure how Honda is considered so reliable. They have had tranny issues going on and off for many years. The only people I know who have had tranny issues were Honda /acura

Bias Honda fan here though I don't like their more recent offerings. I see them as truly an Engineering company first, car company 2nd. I like that.

I thought the Honda tranny issues were limited to the Automatics in their V6? Did they have issues with the I4 engines and/or manuals too? My brother had a 00 auto V6... IIRC, I thought the issue was the torque converter failing bc tranny gets too hot, burns fluid, leads to failure. My coworker had a '11 (?) TL but religiously maintains it and had the ATF changed (non car guy, full service by shops). I last rode with him with 110k and his tranny never had a failure. Anyhow, isn't tranny a non issue now? Just to add, that Alabama (?) made Accord sucked ass.

And just about every Ford product from the 90's until about 6 years ago. The old General had some losers in there too, but the one thing about GM was their powertrains were usually good, the rest of the car was junk.

The Honda transmission issues are well known with V6/automatics. I had an 89 Legend with an automatic that was pretty harsh on the 1-2 shift and they were all like that. I know the second gen cars had issues too. My brother had two 2007 Accords with a V6/auto and always complained about the shifting as they aged. But his father in law has an 04 Oddy (about the worst year for trannys) with an external cooler on it and it's generally beat on. 160k on the original tranny, but it is starting to go.

Heat is the enemy of all things automotive and the tight packaging in the modern engine compartment doesn't help. If you haven't checked or changed the ATF in your 5, you should.

To me, the Sienna was too soft. There is always an element of "fun" to the way Hondas drive and operate, certainly not in their styling. Not as Zoom-Zoom as a Mazda, but not as soft or dull as most Toyota offerings from the past 20 years. It why we bought an Accord over a Camry in 2006 and our '14 Odyssey over a Sienna.

As far as vans go,the Chrysler actually had better steering feel and the Stow and Go was really cool. But everything else in the Chrysler was lacking the refinement in the Honda. Didn't care for the styling or CVT in the Quest ( and I was coming out of a Nissan lease, so the deal would have been good). If the upcoming Kia Sedona had been out, maybe, but I find the lack of polish in the Kia/Hyundai vehicles to be annoying. But they keep getting better, so who knows?

Bias Honda fan here though I don't like their more recent offerings. I see them as truly an Engineering company first, car company 2nd. I like that.

I thought the Honda tranny issues were limited to the Automatics in their V6? Did they have issues with the I4 engines and/or manuals too? My brother had a 00 auto V6... IIRC, I thought the issue was the torque converter failing bc tranny gets too hot, burns fluid, leads to failure. My coworker had a '11 (?) TL but religiously maintains it and had the ATF changed (non car guy, full service by shops). I last rode with him with 110k and his tranny never had a failure. Anyhow, isn't tranny a non issue now? Just to add, that Alabama (?) made Accord sucked ass.

I've not been impressed with the build quality in our Alabama-built Odyssey. The drivers door and fender were misaligned when delivered, causing the paint to rub off the door and fender. Nothing like buying a car on a Saturday and going back to the dealer Monday morning to point out a flaw that shouldn't be. This was May, finally got approval from Honda at the end of August for it to be fixed. Lots of small things that most folks won't notice, like mold-part lines being visible or easily scratched trim pieces.It's those small things that Honda used to be very good at.

Back