M5s marketed incorrectly?

SUVs come in many different flavors. Car based unibody, minivan based unibody, body-on-frame truck based, etc. Makes sense the term CUV has now come out. A Land Cruiser is a whole different animal compared to a FWD CX5 for instance.

As said before the way the MZ5 drives is the seller for most. My wife called me as soon as she left the dealer for me to go over in the morning and buy it. She has never done that before in any vehicle she has test driven. This one put a smile on her face, I could hear it on the phone. If more people would have just test driven them they would have sold more.

My local dealer almost always had one in the showroom, and they got a lot of attention. From the few times I was there it seems a major selling issue was the lack of power sliders/hatch. They are convenient to those with little children and the worst thing is that it is already available in the vehicle in other markets. Super easy for Mazda to make available here.

Sadly for me my next vehicle looks to be a 6MT Subaru Forester. I drove the CX5 and like it's handling dynamics but limiting the manual to the stripper Sport model in only a few colors and FWD only killed it for me.

^^^

Interestingly NONE of my local dealers stock Mazda5. One dealer keeps them in the back away from everybody. In that sense, the Land Cruiser I looked at is the same.

They are both rare hens :D

I am really smitten with the new 6MT WRX 2015. Wish they didn't remove the manual trans from the Outback:(

Our Odyssey does everything better than our 5 except handling and fuel mileage. It's a lease, so the "glass transmission" doesn't bother me too much, but it's also why we didn't buy a used one. But with the hills I live in, the programming for economy and the VCM (variable cylinder management), there's a whole lotta stuff going on up there and it's kind of harsh sometimes. But the Chrysler with the Econ button was just as awful and disabling it was a pretty good drop in MPG.

^^^

Interestingly NONE of my local dealers stock Mazda5. One dealer keeps them in the back away from everybody. In that sense, the Land Cruiser I looked at is the same.

They are both rare hens :D

I am really smitten with the new 6MT WRX 2015. Wish they didn't remove the manual trans from the Outback:(

They had quite a few in stock which is probably most of the reason for the heavy discounting at the time. They came in well under the high volume dealers with a dozen or so MZ5 in stock. A few dealers had none in stock however.

Target is the Forester as the new Outback is CVT only for us. Now just have to decide on base model or Premium.

A woman that I work with locked her keys inside her grand caravan recently. I gave her my key and told her to use my car to drive home and get her spare key. When she got back she could not stop talking about how nice the 5 was. With a family of 4 it works, although it does not compete with the Odyssey on long trips.

Our Odyssey does everything better than our 5 except handling and fuel mileage. It's a lease, so the "glass transmission" doesn't bother me too much, but it's also why we didn't buy a used one. But with the hills I live in, the programming for economy and the VCM (variable cylinder management), there's a whole lotta stuff going on up there and it's kind of harsh sometimes. But the Chrysler with the Econ button was just as awful and disabling it was a pretty good drop in MPG.
I know new Oddy don't have tranny problems?

The CVT + turbo isn't horrible. The NA sucks.

I haven't driven one yet as they're not too common out here. For my sake I hope I don't think it sucks. I went into a test drive of my '08 Impreza 5MT thinking it would suck but it wasn't too bad.

I don't think the newer Odyssey have the issues, I don't want to find out either.

My Mazda repair manual came from Ebay and is an early possible pre-production copy. The introduction to the 5 calls it a "Dynamic Space Wagon"

yup, that's pretty much where i got it from, some early-early brochure somethingorother. our freinds used to call it the space shuttle. since it is so closely related to the mazda3, i always looked at it as a large mazda3 wagon with sliding rear doors.

A woman that I work with locked her keys inside her grand caravan recently. I gave her my key and told her to use my car to drive home and get her spare key. When she got back she could not stop talking about how nice the 5 was. With a family of 4 it works, although it does not compete with the Odyssey on long trips.

The Grand caravan excels in Cargo room and is the best bang for the buck in that respect. Everything else about it sucks.

Especially with the roof rack, 4 should be okay for long road trips on the 5. Not as roomy as a Odyssey or whatever, but adequate, at least for my uses.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:
SUVs come in many different flavors. Car based unibody, minivan based unibody, body-on-frame truck based, etc. Makes sense the term CUV has now come out. A Land Cruiser is a whole different animal compared to a FWD CX5 for instance.

As said before the way the MZ5 drives is the seller for most. My wife called me as soon as she left the dealer for me to go over in the morning and buy it. She has never done that before in any vehicle she has test driven. This one put a smile on her face, I could hear it on the phone. If more people would have just test driven them they would have sold more.

My local dealer almost always had one in the showroom, and they got a lot of attention. From the few times I was there it seems a major selling issue was the lack of power sliders/hatch. They are convenient to those with little children and the worst thing is that it is already available in the vehicle in other markets. Super easy for Mazda to make available here.

Sadly for me my next vehicle looks to be a 6MT Subaru Forester. I drove the CX5 and like it's handling dynamics but limiting the manual to the stripper Sport model in only a few colors and FWD only killed it for me.

I am disappointed at the no sliding doors option as but more so with the no 7th seat option, given that it is available in other countries. After seeing the sienna 8th seat option, I couldn't imagine that the 7th seat could be that difficult to modify to pass usa safety.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

American's are much fatter than people in other countries. I imagine it was less a safety issue but more of a getting someone to actually fit in the middle seat / gain access to the third row more than anything ;)

Are Grand Caravans reliable for the long term? The curernt design is so boring.

American's are much fatter than people in other countries. I imagine it was less a safety issue but more of a getting someone to actually fit in the middle seat / gain access to the third row more than anything ;)

It would be for children or small adults of course. Karakuri seating still allows for access to the third row through the middle.

http://youtu.be/gJERtxGSQ9o

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Last edited:
Back