Protege5 stuck in 4th gear

FunkyMonk309

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hey,

So as the title says, my standard transmission P5 is stuck in 4th gear. As i shifted from 3rd to 4th, I think I mis-shifted (heard that horrible gear grinding noise) and ever since I'm stuck in 4th. I'm able to move the shifter around different positions without even needing to use the clutch, but, every gear I have (including my neutral and reverse) are now ALL 4th gear. Recently I brought it to a mechanic, all he told me was that my transmission was done and I needed to replace it (1500$ + ) . I really doubt this, the transmission is not just one big part, it's composed of many different ones. I just need to figure out what broke and if I can replace the part itself or am I better off replacing the entire transmission? Does anybody have experience with a similar situation?

Thanks

Last edited:
You may have just broken something on the shift rod mechanism,... take a look underneath to see if the shift mechanism is moving where it enters the transmission when the shifter in the car is moved around.

If your shifter is moving around freely, then it sounds like it's "disconnected" ,... there are two universal type joints that connect the shifter to the transmission,... you may have snapped one,...

Last edited:
Back