AutoCross Automatic MP5 Build

psychoMP5

Hellos all! So glad to have finally found a still thriving MP5 community.
I would like to start a build thread with pics and everything but first I would like some guidance. This car is my first for many things. The list of firsts goes something like the following, 4 cylinder, FWD, Import, Hatchback, Fully independent suspension..... etc
So my goal right now since I have taken care of most of the major drivability issues with the car is to build a car I can autocross while staying in the Street Touring Category. Reason Ive chosen that over the pure stock is because in replacing the horrible brake situation i upgraded to ceramic pads and drilled/slotted rotors, still stock size though.
Im pretty sure my suspension is shot so id like to replace them first, then the intake and exhaust.
Because my car is an auto, is there something i can do to get a little more performance out of the transmission? Shift kit or something like that?
Any guidance tips tricks would be great!

The best performance you can get out of the automatic transmission is to replace it with a 5spd, the money you'll spend on a shift kit and a torque converter upgrade will probably be more than a 5spd tranny swap, performance clutch, and limited slip combined, I don't recall the website that made the upgrades for the auto however I have seen some people sell them for way more than what its worth seeing as how they are discontinued that's why I mentioned the swap would be cheaper, as far as a brake upgrade look into the mazda6 brake upgrade, coilovers with adjustable dampening will help keep the car streetable and track ready, I'm pretty sure the guys that autocross these cars will chime in.

Well I've already got the breaks which is why I'm already in Street touring. Seems that the intake and exhaust are pretty self explanatory as far as will obviously work. I'm just not sure about any of the suspension or Eye stuff that the class let's me do.
As for the transmission I spose I will just hold out till I can buy a 03 5spd. I've heard the manual swap is a total pain.

I was bored and emailed Lentech. Valvebody is $445 and the parts needed to upgrade the transmission is $749. I don't believe that anyone has really gone beyond the valvebody upgrade, but the Ford Focus group has done quite a few transmission upgrades which was supposedly safe to 300+ HP. I can post the links when I get home today if you want to see for yourself. I have a automatic myself and have been researching for years for the day I will have some cash in hand to attempt this. Automatic turbo proteges have been a dying breed, but I've been hoarding/collecting all the past research from others just in case I do this. Most people just swap to a 5 speed, which I may do. Or risk seeing what happens when I beef up the slushbox... supposedly I wont need to baby the transmission and just floor it. A few guys with the Focus added NOS or Turbos and pushed the trans hard without any issues. (Forged would be the best way to go if you go this route. The stock block can hold low boost but I am not going to take any chances.) The only issue they encountered was with shifting and with the torque converter. I am not sure if the upgraded Lentech one is worth it. I do recall many years ago, someone here did install the upgraded converter and it didn't help too much. The upgraded one does have a aluminum stator over the plastic stock one. I can't find that thread anymore. But the trans should hold up to a little bit more abuse. I am still deciding building the funding and deciding if I am going to turbo Protege to about 200-250HP. Maybe 300... Or just get the 2007 SLK55 AMG I've just fell in love with. Decisions, decisions! Also you'll need a trans cooler if you go this route. Most of the transmission parts are the same as the Focus, I haven't been able to purchase the upgraded parts to test and compare to see what will fit and not fit.

From Lentech

Not on the shelf, but can be built to order. about 3+/- weeks lead time ATM.
7A100-4F27E-STT $445
7902-FOCS-16STT $749

Parts to upgrade transmission. If you have a few months to spare I may attempt this and let you know what happens.

STREET TERMINATOR TRANSAXLE O/H KIT CONTENTS PN# 7C391-4F27E-STT

2 reverse friction plates
2 reverse steel plates
4 Alto Redlined direct clutch discs
4 Kolene direct steels
5 Low/reverse friction plates
5 - Low/reverse steel plates
4 Forward clutch discs
4 Forward steels
1 New redlined 2/4 band
1 Filter
1 Seal and gasket kit
1 Selective spacer
.Selected bushings
.All new rubber/nitrile clad clutch pistons

As i12drivemyMP5 stated, at the minimum the valvebody and trans oil cooler would be a good start for what you are trying to do.

Last edited:
great info. yeah, been awhile since seeing much about this. i considered the valve body but not any further since mine won't be seeing turbo or forged parts. just a bump on better shifting was about it for mine. +2 on the cooler, been running the hayden stacked plate one size larger than recommended for our cars for 8 yrs or so. also amsoil syn atf. makes big diff on atf temps. return line is luke warm at normal op temp.

Great info! Good to know that my AT will take some abuse. Just got a hold of a factory MSP spring/strut set and rear sway. Just ordered the new sway end links all around so i can swap it over. Also since this thread i replaced the rims since my stock ones were bent to hell. that seems like a lot of money to upgrade the AT. that would be a good chunk of the cash needed to just buy a whole car with a 5spd in it!

.......that seems like a lot of money to upgrade the AT. that would be a good chunk of the cash needed to just buy a whole car with a 5spd in it!
And then that car would require same pile of cash for different stuff............

Man you need a manual transmission.....Don't let ppl. who have NEVER done this swap scare you, It's relatively easy....AND you can either beef it up with the MFactory gears or PAR. Now you're ready to autox

That's what I thought. For now it will be bolt ons for performance and cosmetic upgrades/repairs. Will need another car and a garage to have the mp5 gutted for awhile. Unless I could build up an engine and trans together then when I have time pull the old and drop the new? I have no idea how long the linkages would take to add to the car.

LOL at ppl. who think they know what other ppl. have done. Who was trying to scare him?

I strongly suggest you do a 5 speed swap or sell your automatic car and buy a manual. I did the manual swap and it was the best thing I did to my car. If you ever seriously get into autox you are going to want the manual transmission.

Nice! I'm curious about the details about. All I could dig up was something about one from a mitsubishi that was supposed to fit or a modified coil and rectifier/regulator.

Back