Ambient Lighting Project Coming Up - Need Some Help

nevans2014

:
2014 Mazda CX9 Touring
Hey Forum,

Just bought my 14 CX9 touring and have done some very small upgrades, just switching out interior lights for led and new headlights. One project I am going to start once the wife takes the kid away for a weekend is an ambient light install I've done on my past two vehicles. It started with one ambient light by the map lights in my 2005 Frontier, got a little more adventurous and did map lights, rear coat hooks in cargo, and dome light in my 4Runner, and now I'm looking to do a little more with the Mazda. My intent is to install indirect ambient lighting so the dark areas of the car are lit up just enough to barely see, much like you'll see in some higher end vehicles and now in a lot of other vehicles. The one thing I noticed about the CX9 was how dark the interior is. I'm using small LED dots and will modify them so they are recessed from the holes I'll drill, this ensures the area is lit up but you can't actually tell where the light is coming from.

So my question is this. In the past I've tapped into taillights and stereo illumination wires to get the LEDs to only turn on when the headlights are turned on. Does anyone know of another way of doing this other day tapping into these sources? Or where there is a better illumination wire. I don't want to tap all of them into one source because it may draw too much power.

Any thoughts before I start ripping my brand new interior apart?

Just for reference these are the little guys I am using. http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/surface-mount-smd/little-dot-smd-led-accent-light/639/

Nick

Back