In Memory of Member 1338
In Memory of Member 1338
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My "follow-along" Mazda5 Suspension upgrade

2006 Mazda5 Touring

The bump stop is sort of incorporated into the cover, when you remove the oe ones you'll see what I mean. My feeling is that the inside wear has as much to do with the lateral links and control armbushings as it does the upper arms. Maybe its because mine were SO bad, with the shocks out and the lower control arm (spring pocket? ) disconnected I could wiggle the control arm about 5 degrees out of true. It seems a wonder to me the car would hold an alignment at all oh and Continental FTW
    Once I kick this "spend money on dumb shit" addiction I'm set... The Phen
    Killed by deer 3/2016 @221,000 miles much loved, and sorely missed

Put the ass-end up in the air today to take a closer look. Makes sense now how the the bump stop/cover comes off/apart. I will just reuse the factory cover I imagine. I didn't pull out calipers to measure, but the shock rod diameter looks the same on the Konis and the factory. Shouldn't need anything fancy.

That's not good.

Good thing I ordered brakes.

6 hanging with the 5's

Each time I see pictures of mz5 in the rust belt or salt sprayed areas I'm so glad I live in southern California!

2014 Mazda6 iTouring Snowflake White Pearl
    SunTek carbon 35/18 tint | VLEDS 5K interior | SS scuff plates

2010 Mazda5 Sport Liquid Silver Metallic - totaled 4.3.15

08 Mazda5 Sport, 10 CX9 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Man View Post
    Each time I see pictures of mz5 in the rust belt or salt sprayed areas I'm so glad I live in southern California!
    Damn you and your beautiful weather

2007 5 GT "thing 5"

I have been under mine numerous times and im surprised how well its held up to seven years of Newfoundland winters. I think we use more salt here, plus their is a salt content in the air from the ocean.

got it rust checked last year. keep the crud at bay. The only thing that rusts really bad is the brake rotors. Changing them out this year anyways with NAPA ultra. No more rust.
    07 5 GT with some upgrades
    11 jeep unlimited with lots of upgrades
    11 Kawasaki versys with lots of upgrades

Yeah the rust aspect of living around here sucks. I shot everything with PB Blaster last night. I'll it hit again tonight. I really, really, really don't want those upper shock mount studs to break off.

So while I'm replacing my shocks, what's the proper method to check everything else out for wear? I started adding everything up, and I'm looking at another $600+ to replace EVERYTHING back there. I don't think I want to do that at this time -- stuff started adding up real quick!

More I read, the more it sounds like I'll need to replace the front bump stops. Which Ground Control ones, firm?
    Last edited by Dave88LX; 08-15-2014 at 11:05 AM.

Registered Member Silentnoise713's Avatar

2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring; 2009 Honda Fit Sport/Nav MT

@Dave88, the rear stops look good. Are the rears blown? Pics of the front avail?

Quote Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
    Damn you and your beautiful weather
    the great weather comes with a heafty price .

Quote Originally Posted by Kojack View Post
    I have been under mine numerous times and im surprised how well its held up to seven years of Newfoundland winters. I think we use more salt here, plus their is a salt content in the air from the ocean.

got it rust checked last year. keep the crud at bay. The only thing that rusts really bad is the brake rotors. Changing them out this year anyways with NAPA ultra. No more rust.
    this could be a testament of your upkeep. If you take a close look at the gauge of the steel and the coating on it, Mazda are not anything special, sub par IMO.
    Stuff for sale:
    YellowSpeed DPS Coilovers - cheap

^http://www.wingood.com/flagselect.asp

My Thread
    ^http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...oise713-Thread

2007 5 GT "thing 5"

I don't think. a couple of frinds have mazdas as well, they tend to last longer here.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Yeah the rear bump stops "seemed" OK on a visual/push them around type inspection. I'll just reuse those. I haven't had the front up in the air yet to take a look at those. Yeah rear shocks have been done for a long time.

Waiting on he caliper compression tool to come so I can throw the brakes back on and get my re-inspection done, then I'll get it up again and start digging into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Man View Post
    Agreed. Sure the black interior SUCKS in AZ, but if I lived back east, I wouldn't even DIY b-cuz of the rust.
    04 Volvo V70 T5 MT
    00 Odyssey EX (just totaled)
    01 Outback LL Bean (just totaled)
    97 Accord EX wagon (replaced by V70 T5)
    93 Subaru Legacy L (replaced by Mazda5)
    90 CRX 5MT (Happy Trails)
    90 T-Bird SC 5MT (RIP)
    84 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z clone (RIP)
    68 Plymouth Barracuda notchback Slant Six (RIP)

6 hanging with the 5's

Actually, with tinted windows, a silver sun visor, and leaving all four windows 1/4" opened I can get in 105 weather with no issues. I'm still planning on doing my roof with chrome vinyl to reflect even more heat.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Nothing too exciting to report. Got the rear brakes done. Very simple quick job with the brake compression tool.

Waiting for her to take it through inspection and get the transmission fixed (again) before I start tearing into it.

Banned

2014 Mazda5 Sport 6 speed manual

Do any of you know if it's possible to upgrade the suspension without dropping the car too much? I'd like better shocks and struts and stiffer springs, but I don't want to drop the car 1.5 - 2" if I can avoid it. I like having the ground clearance. I could tolerate a tiny drop, like an inch or less. Are there some adjustable options perhaps that would let me stay within an inch or so of stock ride height? Thanks.

Registered Member

08 Mazda5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Do any of you know if it's possible to upgrade the suspension without dropping the car too much? I'd like better shocks and struts and stiffer springs, but I don't want to drop the car 1.5 - 2" if I can avoid it. I like having the ground clearance. I could tolerate a tiny drop, like an inch or less. Are there some adjustable options perhaps that would let me stay within an inch or so of stock ride height? Thanks.
    As for Springs you could look into the Stock Mazdaspeed 3 Springs.. For your year, Not sure if the first Gen ones will work for you I have a set not installed, I just pick up a set of Teins S-Techs... waiting to be installed

2015 Soul Red 6 Sport Auto 2016 Accord EX Auto

If you get the right coil-overs (stock strut/shock length and stroke) you can have better handling and stock ride height.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast