My "follow-along" Mazda5 Suspension upgrade

Yeah the rust aspect of living around here sucks. I shot everything with PB Blaster last night. I'll it hit again tonight. I really, really, really don't want those upper shock mount studs to break off.

So while I'm replacing my shocks, what's the proper method to check everything else out for wear? I started adding everything up, and I'm looking at another $600+ to replace EVERYTHING back there. I don't think I want to do that at this time -- stuff started adding up real quick!

More I read, the more it sounds like I'll need to replace the front bump stops. Which Ground Control ones, firm?

Last edited:
@Dave88, the rear stops look good. Are the rears blown? Pics of the front avail?

Damn you and your beautiful weather (squinty)
the great weather comes with a heafty price ;).

I have been under mine numerous times and im surprised how well its held up to seven years of Newfoundland winters. I think we use more salt here, plus their is a salt content in the air from the ocean.

got it rust checked last year. keep the crud at bay. The only thing that rusts really bad is the brake rotors. Changing them out this year anyways with NAPA ultra. No more rust.
this could be a testament of your upkeep. If you take a close look at the gauge of the steel and the coating on it, Mazda are not anything special, sub par IMO.

I don't think. a couple of frinds have mazdas as well, they tend to last longer here.

Yeah the rear bump stops "seemed" OK on a visual/push them around type inspection. I'll just reuse those. I haven't had the front up in the air yet to take a look at those. Yeah rear shocks have been done for a long time.

Waiting on he caliper compression tool to come so I can throw the brakes back on and get my re-inspection done, then I'll get it up again and start digging into it.

Actually, with tinted windows, a silver sun visor, and leaving all four windows 1/4" opened I can get in 105 weather with no issues. I'm still planning on doing my roof with chrome vinyl to reflect even more heat.

Nothing too exciting to report. Got the rear brakes done. Very simple quick job with the brake compression tool.

Waiting for her to take it through inspection and get the transmission fixed (again) before I start tearing into it.

Do any of you know if it's possible to upgrade the suspension without dropping the car too much? I'd like better shocks and struts and stiffer springs, but I don't want to drop the car 1.5 - 2" if I can avoid it. I like having the ground clearance. I could tolerate a tiny drop, like an inch or less. Are there some adjustable options perhaps that would let me stay within an inch or so of stock ride height? Thanks.

Do any of you know if it's possible to upgrade the suspension without dropping the car too much? I'd like better shocks and struts and stiffer springs, but I don't want to drop the car 1.5 - 2" if I can avoid it. I like having the ground clearance. I could tolerate a tiny drop, like an inch or less. Are there some adjustable options perhaps that would let me stay within an inch or so of stock ride height? Thanks.

As for Springs you could look into the Stock Mazdaspeed 3 Springs.. For your year, Not sure if the first Gen ones will work for you I have a set not installed, I just pick up a set of Teins S-Techs... waiting to be installed

If you get the right coil-overs (stock strut/shock length and stroke) you can have better handling and stock ride height.

If you get the right coil-overs (stock strut/shock length and stroke) you can have better handling and stock ride height.

That's exactly what I want. Just a bit tighter handling and less motion of the suspension over bumps, but without losing any more than 0.5" of ground clearance and I want something that will be up to the weight of the Mazda 5 and more durable than the stock stuff. I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for though. I'm a little concerned about just picking up stuff designed for the 3 because there is a 5-600 lb weight difference, if that's not taken into account in the spring rates and shock valving etc, then the components aren't going to deliver their best performance IMO. I love that this car is uncommon, but it sure makes it frustrating when you're shopping for aftermarket upgrades. I really like the idea of fine tuning the handling a bit though and getting out in front of any potential suspension issues by proactively replacing the flimsy OEM shocks and springs and stuff with brawnier performance stuff before it even has a chance to fail..

The internet is a confusing wasteland of options for this car though. It's rarely clear if a part is really for the 5, or if it's for the correct generation 5 and when it is, often the stuff has a 1.5-2" drop... Maybe I would have better luck if I went to a local speed shop and explained to them what my objective is and had them help me find the components to get it done?

Don't put factory Mazdaspeed3 springs on your 5 because they aren't has high of a spring rate. Aftermarket coilovers may work for you though.

I have bilstein HD on stock springs and a mazdaspeed 3 oem rear sway bar on moog links, works great

I could not find any bilstein HD shocks or struts in their online catalog that say they are meant to be mounted on the Mz5. There is a bilstein B4 twin tube oem replacement shock/strut that I see for pre-2012 Mz5 but no performance parts. Are you running Mazdaspeed3-spec bilstein HD parts?

He is probably running Bilstein HDs intended for a Volvo V50. The suspension parts are the same and the Volvo tends to be a little heavier than a Mazda5.

Volvo V50 curb weight 3344-3521 pounds

Mazda5 curb weight 3333-3389 pounds

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/shocks/volvo/v50.html

Certainly a better option to go with Bilstein HDs than KYBs or Monroes intended for the Mazda3 which weighs in under 3,000 pounds. If my Mazda5 had less miles I would go for the Bilsteins.

Correct I went with the Volvo ones. The volvos are pretty hefty so there is no weight problem here. I checked axle loading rates as well, and the shocks have no problem covering the weight of each axle. They are fantastic when paired with the speed 3 oem rear sway bar and goodridge SS brakelines. It drives like a factory hothatch, except this one has 6 seats and two sliding doors.

I was also considering the bilstein coilovers. But alot of the guys on the speed3 board don't have too much success with it as it has too many dead coils and really was made for the lighter MZ3. The relatively short springs and dead coils caused some of the guys to constantly blow their strut bearings. I wanted none of that and I also wanted to preserve stock ride height, so this is why I went with the setup I have right now. I was also considering other coilovers such as the HR ones and the ST suspension, but once again most of them are made for the much lighter MZ3 or the slightly lighter MS3. None of those options would have lasted terribly long on our cars.

I went to order Bilstien HDs, 549 each was a bit much. So, I ordered GR-2s. Hopfully they work out. Also ordered 4 new springs fronts from the 2007 and rears using the P/Ns here. Will all be here next week and getting installed in the new year when the Christmas rush is over. Bring back the 5 for another 7 years of service.

Good to see some of the old timer mazda5 owners still have their 5. I'm thinking about Raceland coilovers. Heard anybody using this setup? My Monroe are well over 3 yrs. now and since Raceland price is almost at par with oem shock sets price, I'm willing to try.

Yep. We are still in love with ours. The freshen up will revive the ride and with the extra weight carrying with the 2012 springs, we will be taking it on more road trips.

I have a 2013 Mazda 5 sport with 40k miles on it, and am planning to proactively replace the suspension at 50k miles. I'm thinking about going to coil overs, but have a question:

About 4x times per year, we load up the van for a 300 mile trip ( each way) to the in-laws. In doing so, we put about 500 pounds of cargo in it, on it, and out on a receiver mounted carrier. As you might guess, it squats low in the back, the front end gets light, and our headlights blind the oncoming drivers.

Would Coilovers allow me to dial out that rear end sag for those four trips per year? Or should I be looking at KYB shocks/struts and some sort of pneumatic helper spring arrangement?

Back