In Memory of Member 1338
In Memory of Member 1338
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: My "follow-along" Mazda5 Suspension upgrade

Mazda 5 GT 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Secondtyme View Post
    Were your lateral links sitting cock-eyed in the mounting tabs like this l/l or were they vertical between the tabs lke this l l l ? If they were sitting crooked i would go ahead and replace them, you dont want to have to tear it all apart again right? Snow, in springtime, stupid damn global warming...
    when i replaced my rear shocks I noticed that link "|/|" issue you mentioned. If I'm trying to eliminate a clunk should i be going whole hog like the OP? Are there parts and bushings out there that will last longer than OE?
    Last edited by Moe Drama; 05-03-2015 at 10:40 PM. Reason: needed to read more

Haha no not a Honda forum. General automotive. Smart guys generally, not sure what their issue is.

Registered Member Silentnoise713's Avatar

2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring; 2009 Honda Fit Sport/Nav MT

The language in their response show they are young or immature. They provide NOTHING of substance, just a bunch of blanket statements... I agree, in general, that camber is not the issue with this car. It is dynamic toe going into extreme due to worn bushing coupled with worn shocks. If these are fixed and you are DDing with no intent of dialing alignment, they are not necessary. However, having them allows you to alter the dynamic toe range to keep it out of the extreme to prevent scrubbing.

Are they at least Mz3 owners or have experience with this particular arm design (SPC makes a whole lot of other “types” of arms which cannot be compared)?? It sounds more like they have no respect for a family car (anything but a “sports” car). In my eyes, these arms are a very simple construction which is great. The only way it can fail are due to 1) physically break/crack (highly doubt, unless you set it wrong as in exceeding the A:B gap, then this is user error, see warning in step 8) 2) the busing fail early (possible since it IS aftermarket, time will tell but it look/felt good to me, I also like that SPC bushing are supposedly softer/forgiving like OEM) 3) the lock nut or pinch bolt does not hold (highly unlikely, lock nut is a lock nut and the pinch bolt does not require much force, see step 9). Disclaimer: I only have mind on for ~7 months.

BTW, I just realized the instructions answered your own questions . But again, the ability to reach the nut is a different question.
    7. Install tire and wheel assembly and lower vehicle.
    8. Adjust camber by turning large 32mm adjusting nut until desired camber is reached.
    Warning: The gap between the large adjusting nut and the outer end of the arm should
    not exceed 12.7mm (1/2”). See Fig #1. Exceeding the range of adjustment of these arms
    may cause the arm to fail and void warranty.
    9. Tighten small pinch bolt and nut to 20 lb-ft. Tighten jamb nut tightly against
    adjuster nut
    Last edited by Silentnoise713; 05-04-2015 at 10:58 AM.
    Stuff for sale:
    YellowSpeed DPS Coilovers - cheap

^http://www.wingood.com/flagselect.asp

My Thread
    ^http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...oise713-Thread

2006 Mazda5 Touring

To answer your question Moe Drama, you may not need to go all the way crazy as Dave is. The lateral links all by themselves are probably not the source of your clunking, but they may be one of a number of small things that ARE adding up to a clunk. While you are under the car take a close look at your trailing arm bushings and be sure that they are OK, check your springs, make sure that the upper and lower seats (rubber isolators) are in place, not rotted, crooked, or worst missing. Your rear sway bar bushings and end links are another likely culprit in the rear suspension for knocking and clunking. If any one, or two of these things is going on then your lateral links have likely had a lot of stress put on them and will most likely then need to be replaced. Conversely, replacing the lateral links but leaving the other issues un-addressed will not solve your clunking.
    Once I kick this "spend money on dumb shit" addiction I'm set... The Phen
    Killed by deer 3/2016 @221,000 miles much loved, and sorely missed

Mazda 5 GT 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Secondtyme View Post
    To answer your question Moe Drama, you may not need to go all the way crazy as Dave is. The lateral links all by themselves are probably not the source of your clunking, but they may be one of a number of small things that ARE adding up to a clunk. While you are under the car take a close look at your trailing arm bushings and be sure that they are OK, check your springs, make sure that the upper and lower seats (rubber isolators) are in place, not rotted, crooked, or worst missing. Your rear sway bar bushings and end links are another likely culprit in the rear suspension for knocking and clunking. If any one, or two of these things is going on then your lateral links have likely had a lot of stress put on them and will most likely then need to be replaced. Conversely, replacing the lateral links but leaving the other issues un-addressed will not solve your clunking.
    Thanks for the input, i'll jack it up and have look at that stuff. The sway bar bushings and links looked ok but ill give them a solid wiggle to check this time. We do load up the 5 and tow a fibreglass camper a few times a year and i'd like to upgrade any weak links under there if possible.

Well that was short-lived. *sigh*. Never even got around to putting the front FSDs on there. Front suspension was going to be a spring project.

What a waste of time and money. Totaled. No idea how the hell she managed to pull this off.

2008 Grand Touring, purchased brand new. New trans put in about a year ago.

Last edited by Dave88LX; 05-16-2016 at 09:50 PM.

Registered Member p h a n t o m's Avatar

2006 Mazda 5 Touring

Picture doesn't show up.

Quote Originally Posted by p h a n t o m View Post
    Picture doesn't show up.
    Been tricky hosting with Google+ lately. Should be fixed now.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
    Well that was short-lived. *sigh*. Never even got around to putting the front FSDs on there. Front suspension was going to be a spring project.

What a waste of time and money. Totaled. No idea how the hell she managed to pull this off.

2008 Grand Touring, purchased brand new. New trans put in about a year ago.

I know this is a old thread, but how did the rear end "finish up" ride wise? I ask because i just bought a 14 Grand Touring and i notice how stiffish the suspension is, so i was going to upgrade it. Any thoughts would be great.....

Also any known issues i should look out for would be great, thanks in advance...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678