How to add OEM HIDs to a 2013 Mazda5 Touring?

Clicky

I recently bought a 2013 Touring and was wondering if there is an easy way to add the OEM HIDs from the Grand Touring? I did a search but found some stuff for aftermarket kits. I personally would prefer OEM.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The sockets are different for stock oem HID and halogen oem, aftermarket HID lights direct fit into halogen housing.
Stick with aftermarket unless you want to replace the headlights as well, they are only $860 each from the dealer.
I'm on my 2nd year with good aftermarket lights, no issue whats so ever, just don't buy a cheap set and confirm the are AC type.
also stock bulbs are $150 or so each, plus $250 for each balast, thats about $800 just in the hid lights, never mind new headlights at $1800 .
now you can see you only see talk about aftermarket.. good kit is about $60-$70, instead of $2600 for new oem.
Oh ya, and you will need new wiring harness for the oem, probably another $250 or so from the dealer. (i can't believe how expensive the oem parts are)

Last edited:
The sockets are different for stock oem HID and halogen oem, aftermarket HID lights direct fit into halogen housing.
Stick with aftermarket unless you want to replace the headlights as well, they are only $860 each from the dealer.
I'm on my 2nd year with good aftermarket lights, no issue whats so ever, just don't buy a cheap set and confirm the are AC type.
also stock bulbs are $150 or so each, plus $250 for each balast, thats about $800 just in the hid lights, never mind new headlights at $1800 .
now you can see you only see talk about aftermarket.. good kit is about $60-$70, instead of $2600 for new oem.
Oh ya, and you will need new wiring harness for the oem, probably another $250 or so from the dealer. (i can't believe how expensive the oem parts are)
Wow, didn't realize it was that much. What about this kit? Or is there another kit you would recommend? Also not sure about the options, harness, bulb, and ballast. Thoughts?

Also, installation should be plug and play (no wire splicing), right? Plug the old harness into the hid hit, mount the ballast, and run the wire from ballast to the hid bulb?

y3a5a7a8.jpg

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Last edited:
Well if you wanted OEM HID, GT should have been purchased ;)
True... Unfortunately, I bought a car recently and wanted the Clear water blue, which was only offered in the 2013 and below. Used 2013 pickings are slim(i would have preferred new, if cwb was available)

90210, there are other factors to consider when making a purchase and sometimes there is a need to compromise. I wanted to have a sunroof, but those only come on the GT, all the GT I could find in my area were automatic, so I decided a manual transmission was more important for me than any other "toy" and got the Sport.

90210, there are other factors to consider when making a purchase and sometimes there is a need to compromise. I wanted to have a sunroof, but those only come on the GT, all the GT I could find in my area were automatic, so I decided a manual transmission was more important for me than any other "toy" and got the Sport.
The sunroof is an option on the Touring package, but unfortunately not available on the sport.

I call them convenience features. Honestly the sunroof stinks b/c it is way undersized. The 91 BRG is more toy and a fun and really good looking one at that :D (former 91 smurf owner). You either get bare bones sporty drive in MT sport or the dolled up cruiser in the GT. I dont get the purpose of the T when the GT is marginally more (both auto only in the US) but the content is much better in the GT, for the price.

OEM HIDs really light up the road. (rockon) Do the +'12 come with manual leveling also?

The Retrofit Source HID kits are second to none and the price reflects that. I personally have been very happy with my DDM Slim Ballast HID kit that I purchased 3 years ago for $40. I purchased a HID harness for about $10 and aside from changing out a burnt fuse once, it has held up great.

Last edited:
No matter which kit you use do yourself a huge favor and get the appropriate relay harness from TRS to power it. This will save you heartache and pain down the road, trust me... Another thought just occured to me, you are gonna have to get rid of the DRLs before you go HID or the ballasts won't last a week.

Last edited:
Secondtyme, have you seen the TRS harness that you mention? Is there something about the TRS relay harness that is better than the harnesses from other sources? It's just wire, a relay, and a connector. There's nothing complicated or unique about wiring up headlights on their own relay - you could get the parts at the local parts place and do it yourself in under an hour.

No matter which kit you use do yourself a huge favor and get the appropriate relay harness from TRS to power it. This will save you heartache and pain down the road, trust me... Another thought just occured to me, you are gonna have to get rid of the DRLs before you go HID or the ballasts won't last a week.
Is there any way to make the fogs the drl instead of the low beams?

Interesting, my 2012 uses high beam for DRL, not low, so I did not have this issue. I wonder why is yours different. Ask a dealer if they can re-program the computer to use high beam for DTRL.
I just direct connected to the normal stock wiring and have not had a single issue.

Interesting, my 2012 uses high beam for DRL, not low, so I did not have this issue. I wonder why is yours different. Ask a dealer if they can re-program the computer to use high beam for DTRL.
I just direct connected to the normal stock wiring and have not had a single issue.
I prefer fogs as drl. I will check, honestly I am not sure what is used as drl

I also got my HID's from TheRetrofitSource got 6000K and put them on my Crossfire. Best company out there and you can't beat their 5 year warranty!

My 06 doesnt have DRLs at all actually. I was assuming that the low beams were used, but upon reflection I realize they probably use the high beams, so in that regard you are in the clear. There was a DIY on making the fogs into DRLs a while ago, it was paired with the how to on running the fogs independently of the headlights. Sac02, I just really lke TRSs products and customer service, yes the harness isnt rocket science, but some folks prefer the " take it out of the box and plug it in" approach

All GT in ALL OF THE USA, are auto ;)

My local dealer does Touring with sunroof options, what I have.

My 07 Elise has DDM HID kit since I bought it new, and never had any issues with it.

Back