P5 Suspension Questions

mp5lover

Contributor
:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hey everyone,

Just have a couple of questions for modifications to the suspension on our rides. I currently am running KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, stock sway bars and everything else. Question is, i'm currently hunting for a set of msp sway bars but its hard to find the rears. I know that AWR makes a rear sway for ours, and I'm wondering if its worth the 200 to get it? Also if anyone has changed their sway bar stabilizers how much difference do those make, along with the sway bar endlinks? Im not lowered much just running stock height on the coils which is about a 1.5-2 inch drop from stock ride hight of the car but i do plan on going lower. Let me know as I'm trying to modify the suspension before i dive into the engine. Thanks!

I'm having more trouble finding a MSP front sway bar. I read of some people having trouble with the fitment on the AWR bar and endlinks, I've not owned the bar myself so I can't say from experience. Also take a look at the rear sway bar Progress makes, reputable company from what I hear, and I've found them for as low as $150.

Don't bother with the front MSP sway bar. It's not really much of an upgrade (might be a downgrade when you get down to it) and is a HUGE ordeal to install in the car.

I run the AWR and I haven't had any problems (yet). I'm wondering if some of the issues people are having are due to the climate they live in. The AWR endlinks are in no way, shape, or form sealed. Those that live in a colder climate (salt on the roads) might be having issues with the endlinks. I'm sure the progress bar would be fine as well.

mp5la how hard was it to install? I have heard mixed that its easy and difficult depending on if the stock end links are seized and what not. And are you running the 21.5mm or the 18mm? Did you also replace the stabilizers when changing it out to? I plan on going the with the AWR rear sway, but uncertain if its worth the hassle to replace the front.

21.5mm for mine. I have air tools, so the end links were no problem for me to zip off. However, many people have issues getting the old end links off due to the nut seizing on the shaft and the shaft spinning. You can also cut the old endlinks off with a grinder/dremel if you need to.

I did replace all four struts at the same time. I used off the shelf KYB gr-2's and so far havent had a problem. If I can find someone with some tokico blues/illuminas in stock I will be changing over though. I feel like the ride would be a lot better with the tokicos and my lowering springs.

Last edited:
Okay good to know, I don't have air tools but I do have a breaker bar lol! Yeah im already on coils so im looking forward to see the difference in handling once I get it installed. It'll be another week or two before I can get to it due to the other build going on but thanks for the information! Just curious if you have done any additional mods, ie adjustable control arms ect. ect.

No I haven't done anything that involved. Suspension wise everything has been replaced (struts, top hats, ball joints, etc.) with new parts, I've upgraded the rear sway bar, installed front and rear strut bars, lowered it on racingbeat springs, and changed over to MSP brakes/wheels/tires. It's a daily driver so I haven't wanted to get too crazy with it.

Yeah mine is my daily as well, but thanks for the info and the help I appreciate it. Just have to finish the project car before I start diving into the engine of this which is why im trying to get the suspension done before I do that. A lot to do with suspension though it will take a lot of time haha. Thanks again!

Progress 22mm here for 8 yrs using stock endlinks with Tokico Illuminas lowered 1.5 all around. No issues other than the 3 wheel motion if you enter angled driveways at angle lifting one of the rear tires off the ground a bit. I don't consider that an actual issue tho.

Where did you get your 22mm sway at? Do you remember the link for it by any chance?

Interesting lol it looks like the sway for the front but says rear haha. Wonder if its a typo or they uploaded the wrong picture.

Wrong picture. My rear one doesn't look like that. I didn't know they made a front one and didn't even snap to the pic being wrong when linking......good catch. I haven't changed the front due to the silliness involved and reports of oversteer from some posts where people have changed the front. No one mentioned they had the progress front tho. Car feels perfect the way it is. I wouldn't change front on mine.

Yeah I don't think ill be changing mine. My coils are super stiff as is and I turn on a dime just a ton of body roll with the stock sway but that will be changed in a week or two :) but thanks for the heads up on the front sway in regards to oversteer good to know!

The car oversteers from the factory, replacing the rear sway bar helps with the oversteer but replacing the front as well puts you right back in the same position. However, some people have told me putting the MSP Racingbeat sway bars, both front and rear, creates a neutral handling car. Can anyone else confirm this?

Very interesting Smoke! Hopefully someone can confirm this, I wonder how much of a difference there is between the Racingbeat rear vs AWR rear VS Progress rear I know there is slight differences in thickness which would reduce more roll in theory depending on how stiff the actual bar is but wonder if someone has experimented with a set of 2 different ones or all 3?

After a quick google search I came up with these numbers: the MSP rear bar is a 20mm, the AWR bar comes in either 19mm or 21.5mm (as posted on their website) and the Progress bar is 22mm (also posted on their site). These are the numbers, I can't say anything for the experience. I'm assuming endlinks could also make a difference in handling, yes?

Additional info, the MSP front bar I've found to be 25mm.

Yeah those are the same numbers I found. ^^ I also wonder about the endlinks since theres always multiple options, however I do know that the AWR does come with endlinks and I don't think the others do. Just wondering how much they do affect the handling if anything for that matter. Hope someone who has tracked or changed things around would shed some insight here.

Not sure the effect on handling vs. oem but the AWR have been known to be klunk sound inducing. IIRC people put some sort of firewall grommet between link and bar and/or another mounting bracket that eliminates klunking.

Hmm interesting. Wonder if they swapped endlinks with a different manufacture it would solve that problem? Have any idea how bad the sound is or if it makes it worth it? Honestly if its just a simple sound that its causing and not major damage then ill probably go with them and just fab a bracket or find one to use.

Back