Dealership oil change cost

Buddyb

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
How much are dealerships charging you for an oil change?

I went in today for my first oil change. I was told I had $20 off for my first oil change. The lady behind the counter said it came with a wash and "they will go ahead and rotate the tires for you."

She printed out the ticket and the total was $79.95. He said the $20 of would be applied when I paid making the oil change $59.95.

Noticing the price was high I asked if the tire rotation was extra and she said yes. The price after the rotation was removed and $20 discount applied was "29.96" after taxes and fees.

Next time I won't have the $20 discount so the OTD price for an oil change will be $49.96

What are the rest of you paying? Please share how much you pay even if you do it yourself.

I pay about.. ~$58 or so just for oil and the filter from Mazda and then change it myself..

Are these conventional, blended synthetic or full synthetic pricing?

I will probably be in the $50-$60 range using Amsoil full synthetic & filter. Dealer will do the first change for free but I will perform all the remaining changes after that.

I have lifetime 9.99 oil changes at the dealer I bought the car from. It's about 35 miles away, but worth it. I do the same with my 12 Mazda 3 too.

CA$60 for a change at the dealer with bulk 0W-20 here in Canadialand. They also do a minor safety check, lube all the hinges and wand wash the car. Pretty reasonable, to my mind.

Wow I'm seeing higher prices than I expected.

Temecula Mazda in California uses Mazda synthetic oil. $49.96 OTD which includes brake Inspection, alignment check, and car wash.

Next time in due for an oil change I'll get the same
Parts and so it myself to see the cost savings, if Any.

I get free life time changes at the dealership I bought my car at. They use Castrol GTX. I am debating on letting them change my oil. I have a healthy distrust of dealership service departments.

Yeah my wife looked at me funny when I popped the hood after the oil change.

Yeah my wife looked at me funny when I popped the hood after the oil change.

:)

Been there done that! Can find out all sorts of things like leftover tools, rags, no dipstick, no cap, no oil, etc... Better to do it in their parking lot, than the side of freeway.

5 QT jug of synthetic Castrol costs $25 at Walmart all day, everyday. Add $7 for a filter and do it yourself on the cheap. :)

Get a set of ramps and do it super quick, or get jack and jack stands and do tire rotation at the same time.

I was going to do Amsoil but really thinking about using the Mazda Moly.

skyactiv-oem.jpg

Just paid $75.40 plus tax in St. Catharines, Ontario. The wheel rotation was no charge.....but every 4th oil change is free with this dealership so it works out to about $57 per oil change over the 4.

The problem is you usually or never don't get a certified mechanic or even someone trained to do the mundane jobs, like oil changes, tire rotations or even safety inspections. Just what I have observed and caused me to become a do-it-myself over 60 years ago. Ed

The trouble with dealership mechanics is that they typically are not well paid positions, so all the good ones eventually leave. I let the Honda quick service place change the oil on my wife's '13 Accord. I've been using that place for years and they have done well (knock on wood), although they keep wanting to change my air filters ever time I get an oil change, even if I just put in new ones two days before going in. I have a shop that worked on my M5 and now my 1990 325i. But beyond that, to be honest, I don't even like having people do my state inspections. ha.

I bring my own oil and the cost is $22, which includes labor, oil filter, gasket, and car wash.

<sigh>

I traded in a Toyota RAV4 when I got my CX-5... The local Toyota dealer had an internet coupon about 8 years ago; oil change including labor, filter and whatnot for $9.95 + tax. There was no expiration printed on that coupon, so I turned it into a PDF and have been happily printing/using it ever since. :)

Toyotas only, though, so I guess the "free" ride is over.

Not sure the dealer will go for it but I am going to see if they will give me the supplies to do my own first Mazda Moly change at around 3K miles for free. They gave me a coupon for a free oil change. I'd drop them a $20 if they felt it was that much more than the Castrol oil they would likely put in it.

Not sure the dealer will go for it but I am going to see if they will give me the supplies to do my own first Mazda Moly change at around 3K miles for free. They gave me a coupon for a free oil change. I'd drop them a $20 if they felt it was that much more than the Castrol oil they would likely put in it.

Called the dealer today and they said they would have to do the oil change and they wouldn't give me the supplies to do it myself. If they can assure me it is going to be genuine Moly I might let them do this first one. The Fumoto valve install may have to wait. I can think with almost certainty they wouldn't put a 3rd party part in for me.

Back