Help!! used Protege 5...should i buy??

krameflow

:
mazda
I found a 2002 mazda protege 5 on the internet. Its $4000 and had 126,000 miles on it. Should i get it? Its the base hatchback, automatic 4cl. Thanks $_4-3.JPG$_4-2.JPG$_4-5.JPG$_4-6.JPG$_4-8.JPG

it looks like it has been lightly modified, i would take a close look at the fluids and the whole engine as it may have been abused. if everything seems ok on the test drive and the fluids are all full and good color i would then ask for a maintenance history or some evidence certain items have been changed such as the timing belt and water pump at 120,000 miles is the max for changing the timing belt and you should always do the water pump while in there. check the cv axle boots as well, then check some suspension components such as tie rods ball joints ect. i would say take it on a test drive and take it to a shop you trust and have them do an inspection before you buy.

it looks like it has been lightly modified, i would take a close look at the fluids and the whole engine as it may have been abused. if everything seems ok on the test drive and the fluids are all full and good color i would then ask for a maintenance history or some evidence certain items have been changed such as the timing belt and water pump at 120,000 miles is the max for changing the timing belt and you should always do the water pump while in there. check the cv axle boots as well, then check some suspension components such as tie rods ball joints ect. i would say take it on a test drive and take it to a shop you trust and have them do an inspection before you buy.

thanks!!

Biggest concern would be the transmission, but make sure the timing belt has been replaced and if the trans shifts and acts normal when driving normal and driving aggressively you are probably alright. You can check the fluid condition but it is not uncommon for people to flush the fluids before selling to cover up potential problems.

Looks like the previous owner switched to sedan headlights. Might want to see if the owner properly hooked up everything correctly and see if the high beams work. Also see if fan speeds 2 and 3 work when the AC is on. The fix is easy but it could be a negotiating point.

$3000 and I would buy it.
agreed however if its in good shape and everything works as it should 4k is not bad i would see if you could talk him down, as stated by others make sure the transmission shifts good

doesnt surprise me these are great cars but they do rust if up north (mine has been a texas car its whole life) and has not a spot of rust under it. the previous owner probably did not care for it.

Back