Elecric Windows switch bad

RABID_MP5

:
2002 Protege5
My passenger front window was always slow, then started cutting out. Figured motor. But I put silicone on the tracks and it was faster but still cut out. I remembered taking the passenger switch apart on a 2000 Protege and scraping the switch contacts. On the P5 the passenger switch worked the window fine - it was my master switch bad. When I tried to take it apart, you can't get too far in easily.

Basically, I ended up popping the button off for the rt front window (the hardest part of doing this) and dripping just a drop of WD-40 into the white switch lever, to reach the contacts buried beneath. It's been fine for a month now.

Any others with the problem or solutions?

The driver's switch on my FD did the same thing...started cutting in and out, then finally died altogether. I ended up buying a used switch from a guy who brings containers of parts from Japan.
The switch works great except the left switch works the passenger's side and the right one works the driver's side. haha It took me a week or so to get used to it, but yeah,

JDM window switch yo !(ugh)

I am not sure how the contact work, but the driver's switch can put down/up the front passenger window. The Passenger's door switch can only put the window up.
1. Does this seem like a contact issue too?
2. Can the switch be removed without removing the door panel?

Last edited:
yes definitely a contact deal. the switch subpanel pops out with a bit of prying - from the rear I think - the front is like hinged I think. Go easy and it will pop right up. Then if I remember right, take the switch apart. You do need to remove the black button body, which I do with 2 little screwdrivers - you gotta pry off both sides from their pivots. That allows the PC board to drop out where you can really see the switch. I'd scrape the contact and maybe use some cleaner on it.

On the master switch you could do the same, bur it requires removing all 4 buttons. Not an easy order.

Last edited:
Hah! My passenger side window only goes down (from the passenger side). I need to close it as the driver.

Back