How to Change Interior Light bulbs w/pics

Just thought I'd revive this to add that with the 2016 models, the rear cargo light is now located on the hatch itself AND it is fused with the remainder of the interior lighting. So removing the "roof" fuse disables the circuit. No need to disconnect the battery.

I'm looking at the Manual for a CX-5 2016 model. Is the fuse that needs taken out listed as "ROOM" in the description? And is fuse 54 in the fuse box? It says the the protected component is "Overhead Light" so I'm assuming this is correct. Also how are you sure that the cargo light is fuse protected now?

Thanks for the info! Kinda a newb with this stuff.

yes, ROOM fuse aka #54
(and like the nifty fuse puller that's included, along with a couple spares :))

circuit tester will show it's unenergized after the fuse is pulled

still a PITA to separate the lense cover from the body on the rear module LOL

Yep, "room" not roof (my bad). And I'm 100% sure mine was fused. Easy way to check (if you don't have a multimeter) : open the hatch, make sure the light is on, pull the fuse. If the light goes out its controlled by the fuse you pulled.

...sent...

Hi guys. When changing the interior dome lights to LEDs, do the lights still fade off after the set time when you close the door like the stock bulbs? or do they shut turn off abruptly? No issues with the LED replacements? Thanks.

Our cheap eBay interior LED set fades off like stock incandescent bulbs without any flickering.

Surprise that it doesn't have any flickering... The flickering is minimal with most LED when dimming (I've tried Morimoto XB LED, Sylvania LED, and others)

Our cheap eBay interior LED set fades off like stock incandescent bulbs without any flickering.

Surprise that it doesn't have any flickering... The flickering is minimal with most LED when dimming (I've tried Morimoto XB LED, Sylvania LED, and others)

Thanks for the replies. May bite the bullet and verify if they will flicker or not. Hopefully it fades just like stock.

Last edited:
Has anyone done the LED upgrade for the 2014 CX-5 Touring? I'm most interested in brightening up the cargo space.

Has anyone done the LED upgrade for the 2014 CX-5 Touring? I'm most interested in brightening up the cargo space.
Many people have done it and there're so many LED options on the market right now. LED technology is progressing everyday and make sure to get most advanced LED if possible. For cargo light on 2015 and prior CX-5's, there's no fuse protection for cargo light and the expensive RBCM could get damaged if you don't follow the proper instruction carefully - either disconnect the wire connector near by or disconnect negative post of your battery to cut off the electricity before you're making cargo light swap. I use a cheap eBay interior LED set with newer and brighter 5730 rectangular LED chips and installed more than a year ago. So far so good:

The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

You can always try these "super-sized" 31mm Festoon LEDs for your cargo/dome/map lights:

Oversize from SuperBrightLeds

3110-w10-cb-for-site.jpg

And these new type 194/168 replacement LEDs with larger area copper flat contacts, instead of a single wire coming out which serves as a contact, and the clear silicone coating are good for license plate light (but could be too bright) and reverse lights:

Cx-5 License Plate LEDs!

attachment.php

This member damaged his RBCM in the process of installing additional LEDs in the cargo area for his 2014(?) CX-5. Luckily he knows how to do component level repair and fixed it with minimum cost:

Cargo Light not working

attachment.php

I've installed 31MM 5050 6SMD Festoon Dome Interior LED Light Bulbs DE3175 and the engine light error came up in my dashboard. It's a 2016 cx5. I unplugged the room fuse before I installed the LEDs. Did I do something wrong ? Thanks in advance

Here I am five years later necromancing (revive from the dead) this thread last commented on in 2018. I'm looking for updated information if it exists.

I have a 2021 that I'm looking to change the interior lights to LED. I purchased a kit consisting of:
  • Package includes Interior Map Lights, Dome Lights, Vanity Mirror Lights, Trunk/Cargo Lights, and License Plate Lights (9 LED bulbs total).
But tales in this thread of a burned-out Rear Body Control Module (RBCM) have me concerned. What are the precautions one should take in 2021 when installing LED lights? Is this a straightforward task, or are there some nuances the backyard mechanic should know?

Is removing the Negative battery cable for the entire project a good enough insurance policy against electric gremlins? If I remove the negative cable, do I have to reset the radio, CarPlay.. and any other custom settings I have made?

Any advice?

Here I am five years later necromancing (revive from the dead) this thread last commented on in 2018. I'm looking for updated information if it exists.

I have a 2021 that I'm looking to change the interior lights to LED. I purchased a kit consisting of:

But tales in this thread of a burned-out Rear Body Control Module (RBCM) have me concerned. What are the precautions one should take in 2021 when installing LED lights? Is this a straightforward task, or are there some nuances the backyard mechanic should know?

Is removing the Negative battery cable for the entire project a good enough insurance policy against electric gremlins? If I remove the negative cable, do I have to reset the radio, CarPlay.. and any other custom settings I have made?

Any advice?
You don’t have to worry about damaging the RBCM during the trunk light change on your 2021 CX-5 as Mazda has put a fuse for the trunk light to protect RBCM on CX-5 after 2016 MYs. See post #20 by @Srad600. If you aren’t sure, removing the fuse or the negative post for pre-caution before you install the LED interior lights.

You don’t have to worry about damaging the RBCM during the trunk light change on your 2021 CX-5 as Mazda has put a fuse for the trunk light to protect RBCM on CX-5 after 2016 MYs. See post #20 by @Srad600. If you aren’t sure, removing the fuse or the negative post for pre-caution before you install the LED interior lights.
Thanks!

Back