How to Change Interior Light bulbs w/pics

:
2013 CX-5 GS
I ordered a SMD kit from iJDMtoy, I have used them in the past and the price with shipping and quality is pretty good.

This is my first write up, I am not responsible if you damage anything or stab your self.

The only tool you will need is a small flat head screw driver.

Always remember to either disconnect the battery or remove the 15amp(ROOM) fuse under the hood before doing any interior electrical lighting.

Step 1.

Insert your small flat head screw driver between the narrow part of the lens and plastic trim. You should only need to apply a very mild amount of force to gently pry the lens cap off.

[/URL

Observe the two tabs at the top part of the lens, for when re installing it.

[URL=http://s771.photobucket.com/user/superrowndude/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140728_142343_759_zps3slvzjvi.jpg.html]

Step 2.

Gently use your finger to open one side of the metal bracket that is holding one side of the bulb. Then pull the bulb out down towards you with your other hand.

Step 3.

Re install your new bulb, lift the bracket again and slowly insert your new light.

This is the style smd unit that I used for the interior dome lights.

Now onto the vanity lights.

Just slide your flat head screw driver between the lens and plastic trim and pop the lens cap off.

Same idea as the dome light for taking out the bulb, use gentle force to remove the old bulb.

I did not take any pics of the cargo light bulb. It's also easy to replace.

Just pop out the lens assembly by gently prying one corner out, open the bracket to where the bulb is being held and remove the bulb.

Insert the new bulb and you are clear for testing.

After you reconnect the battery or reinsert the fuse try your new lights out.

If they one of them does not work, try rotating the bulb 180 degrees.

Yep,this should be done in the first place.:)

The manual tells you how to disconnect the light fixture and switch from the cable in the trunk area. It was pretty easy, just make sure the wire does not fall back into the paneling. Replace the bulb, re-connect the fixture, make sure the light works, if not, disconnect and switch around the terminals, then repeat, connect, test, and re-install. This is what I did and the trunk is significantly brighter, used the same blubs in the interior area and it made a big difference.

Got mine in the mail today. Pulled the "roof" fuse and installed them all in just a few minutes. Easy peezy! They look great!

Just to make this clear, you CAN replace all interior bulbs with LEDs but you need to disconnect the cargo light before removing/installing the new LED right?

Even after this, can the control module still blow up?

Just to make this clear, you CAN replace all interior bulbs with LEDs but you need to disconnect the cargo light before removing/installing the new LED right?

Even after this, can the control module still blow up?

Mine did not blow up. Like I said above, I pulled the "roof" fuse (under the hood) and I also disconnected the cargo light before I swapped the bulb.

There is a 2piece plastic connector that you see after you get the light fixture out. Just disconnect it (but don't let it slip back into the hole - use some tape to keep it out). When done replacing the bulb, reconnect the harness and put the fixture back in place.

Yes, that is what I ordered including the optional vanity mirror lights. I already had installed LED license plates lights earlier so I didn't need to order those. Mine have been great!

Thanks for the pics, wasn't sure where to pry and I wouldn't of known about the fuse & plug. Just license plate's left... Do the license plate bulbs just pull straight out (scared I might be doing it wrong)?

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics, wasn't sure where to pry and I wouldn't of known about the fuse & plug. Just license plate's left... Do the license plate bulbs just pull straight out (scared I might be doing it wrong)?

after you remove the cover the bulb pulls out straight

I picked these up and put them in... What a huge difference! I don't think I have step/courtesy lights though, unless they're blown. Anyone know if the 2013 GT has them and if so where they're located? I checked the bottom side of the door panel and didn't see anything...

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Got mine in the mail today. Pulled the "roof" fuse and installed them all in just a few minutes. Easy peezy! They look great!

Just thought I'd revive this to add that with the 2016 models, the rear cargo light is now located on the hatch itself AND it is fused with the remainder of the interior lighting. So removing the "roof" fuse disables the circuit. No need to disconnect the battery.

Back