Transmission/shifting questions...?

Dynamismflux

:
2007 Mazda 3 Sport: Grand Touring
So I went out on a few various test drives.

The most notable have been my two Mazda experiences (obviously, lol). I drove a 2014 Mazda 3i Sport sedan, six speeds. Smooth, easy to manage clutch and shifting from the transmission. No hangups or problems at all. Earlier today, I went and drove used 2010 Mazda 3 Sport Grand Touring.

Now I'm contributing the fact that the car wasn't well taken care of (in my opinion) to my bad experience. But when I started shifting the car was unnaturally stubborn going into first and third (it could also be that I didn't fully depress the clutch. But when I did press it all the way in, I had a little resistance still, if I remember correctly). I know that the 3's from 2010-2013 are really closely geared. I had a problem with the Mazdaspeed3 when I test drove a 2010, but I could easily find my way around a 2007-2009.

So I guess my question is, am I right in assuming that the gears are tighter in the 2010's? Am I also right in assuming that the gears were so stubborn due to bad care?

If I'm wrong, can someone please set me on the right path? I was considering getting a 2010, because they're easier to come across at a good price. But if they transmissions are so close and stiff I might opt for a smoother variant, like a 2009 or 2014.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back