oil pan gasket

kms1990

:
2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT
i suspect my oil pan gasket is leaking from looking it seems the upper is rtv silicone and the lower is cork, does this sound right? i would like to know if i need to redo both or just the lower, it appears only the lower is leaking but hard to tell, its a very small leak and i am not losing any oil from the dipstick, thats how small it is.

i suspected the drain plug at first and i think i was right i changed it the other day and checked again today still wet under pan but cleaned it with some engine cleaner really good and went on a drive came back and dry as a bone on the spot where it was wet. i kinda think i was right and it was the drain plug however i would still like info on weather or not the pan gasket is rtv on upper and cork on lower just in case

No cork gaskets on Proteges, only RTV

It should be RTV, however you can order an aftermarket cork/rubber gasket for earlier model FS engine. I did because I take my pan off way too often and, just like I knew would happen, it started leaking after a month.

thats what i thought usually oil pan gaskets are all rtv or slips of rubber and rtv depending on shape nissan does the same thing all rtv. but i think my drain plug was the issue as i cleaned it up really good again and drove and no fresh leaks

i suspected the drain plug at first and i think i was right i changed it the other day and checked again today still wet under pan but cleaned it with some engine cleaner really good and went on a drive came back and dry as a bone on the spot where it was wet. i kinda think i was right and it was the drain plug however i would still like info on weather or not the pan gasket is rtv on upper and cork on lower just in case

Time for a new washer! ;)

i just got a whole new plug and washer ($1 for washer or $2.99 for both together) so may as well get both

Back