thejeans 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Well this weekend started the "get the miata back up and running" part of the whole phase

The motor is as buttoned up as can be and ready to go in the car
14846038527_407b57ff0f_z.jpg

14845963348_ea1435710a_z.jpg

15032572885_a0cf3b6dab_z.jpg

Almost there!
15032574635_572ccf08da_z.jpg

Got the motor in finally Saturday evening, put the hood back on and figured id start fresh sunday with all the electrical stuff, and reinstalling everything else
14846039977_9714d6cde3_z.jpg

15032587035_ee043c7d27_z.jpg

Got almost everything hooked up, there are some electrical gremlins that wont allow the car to start right yet BUT its close! just hope i can figure out what it is soon cause ive been aching to drive this car since it broke over Easter...
14845938800_b5791fb69c_z.jpg

Last edited:
Great progress!

Any indications if you do or do not have fuel, spark, etc?

Not sure, it was late in the evening when we tried to start it, got two buddies coming back today to see if can figure a couple things out...

I heard the fuel pump prime itself when I went to try to start the car so I don't think fuel is the issue, I'll check the plugs today

What happened to cover that goes on the front of the engine/behind the water pump?

the belt cover??
its on now, i needed to torque the crank bolt to spec and had to wait to use the trans to help keep it in place, the covers stayed off til i had that done (just in case the crank jumped the belt and i had to readjust the timing) the FM cam gear tool came in quite handy for all that too haha

im anxious to see what the car feel like, not only is it rebuilt BUT i shed some substantial weight going with a 10.3lb Flywheel vs the oem flywheel, and it now has the FM level 2 clutch instead of the unsprung 6 puck, looking forward to seeing how it responds to the new lighter flywheel with a clutch that should actually have feeling vs the painful on/off 6 puck... after break-in the goal will be to try to hit a couple autocrosses this year and simply just try to learn the handling dynamics of the car

next year proper tuning and a few other mods will be on the table

You will love the lightweight flywheel once you get it running, and I'm sure the clutch too...since it's,not unsprung anymore. Best of luck, sir.

SHES ALIVE!!!!!

this car is a bit of a rough start normally but that was only enhanced by this first start... ill get all that figured out in due time but for now, she runs!!!!!

So the misfire is still present, i pulled the plugs and its clearly running pig rich as the plugs were filthy given the fact theyve driven a whopping 3 miles and varied idle speed for about 30-40 mins in the driveway

i have new coils ordered, and hopefully that with new plugs and the relatively new magnacore wires does the trick!

Coils should be in next tuesday or wednesday so hopefully ill have good news then!!!

Didn't Phen just go through the whole misfire troubleshooting thing?

Did you check your FPR/fuel pressure? Not that it's normal to do so, but issues with fuel pressure (i.e. vac line not connected) can cause rich conditions.

NO, i dont have a working laptop with the Hydra right now, im going to set that up this weekend with the help of a buddy..
ill monitor that stuff as well.. we have two thoughts one the hydra reset the map after sitting so long, two its not getting enough spark and since the coils have never been replaced in 97k, they are due to be replaced soon anyway given the life expectancy seems to be around 75k (from my online searching) so ill start there, bite the bullet and just buy them now.

Back