Polarized glasses and Mazda 3 dash don't play well together

cre8tiveOne

:
Mazda 3 i Touring Hatchback
I'm not looking for an answer to this problem because I know what it will be -- the same one in the joke, "Hey Doc, it always hurts when I do this..."
I'm just documenting the strangeness. So anyway, apparently the 2014 Mazda instrument panel has a polarized cover to reduce glare. Unfortunately that means that if you are also wearing polarized sunglasses, seeing the information on your dashboard can be very challenging under certain condition, like tilting your head to the left. When the polarized lines of the instrument panel cover cross paths with the lines in your lenses the digital readout gets occluded, something like a Solar eclipse.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204697560104578&set=vb.1403559603&type=2&theater

LCD technology uses polarization to create the display. This is a fundamental issue with most, if not all, LCD displays.

Indeed, I noticed that last week.

Also when I try and use my cell phone with my sunglasses on I have the same problem when I tilt it to landscape mode...

Seems to be related to the way LCDs are made/work.

The heads up display on my 2000 Corvette is polarized. 14 years ago I doubt they were using LCDs.

The heads up display on my 2000 Corvette is polarized. 14 years ago I doubt they were using LCDs.

I'm fairly certain that the C5s used a CRT on a phosphor screen. Our Mazda 3s use a more advanced LED, but with fewer display options.

Back