Is it worth it to run Snow Tires in Winter??

cybercruiser

Contributor
:
2015 CX-5 Touring 2.5L FWD
Even on only a Front Wheel Drive, All Weather Beaters, seem to do a pretty good job. Does a Snow Tire get you that much traction over what you already get with a decent set of All Weather Beaters?? Kind of a pain to swap them out every Fall and Spring, but, don't know, is it worth it??

I have 2015 CX-5 FWD w/Goodyear Assurance Comfortreads.

The difference is noticeable with my nokians. Paid 1400 for a set though. You have to do the research as a cheap set may not be any better than a good set of all seasons.

Where do you live?

A cheap Winter tire will out perform a good all season in the snow, without doubt.

IMHO Winter tires are very much worth the added cost. Why? Better traction, better handling and better braking during the winter months. While they do have a cost associated with them, you are extending the replacement date of your All Season tires, as they will not accumulate mileage in winter. So really, the cost is minimal in the long run, just higher up front.

-John

Again Where do you live and how often do you get snow? I'll also ask how you view snow. Do you get excited about the opportunity to go play in it? OR do you dread any time of frozen precipitation?

Yes Winter tires are completely worth it and as said above it's only the initial outlay that you have to pay for. Your replacement cycle for tires will be reduced by half and the hassle is minimal if you buy a second set of wheels. The cost of the 2nd wheelset is offset by the remounting and balancing twice a year.

I prefer Snow tires over AWD any day. Awd only helps with acceleration, snow tires increase traction for acceleration but more importantly steering and braking which is what keeps you on the road. Also when buying tires and wheels go -1 on wheel diameter, the CX5 can take a 16" wheel. Better absorption of frost heaves and potholes.

Where do you live?

A cheap Winter tire will out perform a good all season in the snow, without doubt.

IMHO Winter tires are very much worth the added cost. Why? Better traction, better handling and better braking during the winter months. While they do have a cost associated with them, you are extending the replacement date of your All Season tires, as they will not accumulate mileage in winter. So really, the cost is minimal in the long run, just higher up front.

-John

I bought my car in March 2014 After buying it I couldn't afford to buy 4 snows and wheels and being march I decided to wait it out. We got one good snow storm. I drove my AWD CX-5 about 1/4 mile. I then drove it home and borrowed my daughters Mazda 6 FWD with snows. Night and day. No contest. It felt like different roads. I now own 4 used 17 in wheels and have identified the size and source for the Hakkapeliitta at $157 each.

Some questions to ask your self

Does it snow where I drive
What did my CX-5 cost?
Would I have bought a CX-5 if it wouldn't accelerate well, wouldn't brake well, and couldn't corner over 15 MPH?
What will the fix for a minor collision cost?
Will my summer tires last longer if I don't use them for 4 months?

Add to all that that driving in snow with the wrong tires is nerve racking white knuckle tiring and dangerous.
Driving in snow with the right tires is Zoom Zoom fun

I'm sure TireRack or any of the big tire shops can hook you up with proper steel or alloy wheels in a proper fitment for the CX5. I'm just running an all terrain Hankook Dynapro ATM on my original 17" alloy wheels during the winter and it's much better than the stock tires would have been but I agree with all of those here that even the best all season or all terrain tire will pale in comparison to a good snow tire.
If I were doing it over again I would have just put snows on my 17" wheels instead of the all terrain tires but I didn't anticipate at the time that I would buy a set of 19" grand touring wheels and tires for summer duty either.

I bought used Mazda 6, 17 in wheels on crags list for $160 for the set. Looking at other older Mazda wheels opens up a lot of possibilities.

Wheels $160
Tires $628
Mounting $50
Total $838

Keeping the shinny side up, Priceless

I had a set of Nokian i3 for Spring to Fall and Nokian RSi for Winter on my 03 MPV, they lasted about 4-5 years. The RSi's were the best snow tire I've used. Don't go cheap on tires, it's what keeps you on the road. BTW, its summer and 30 C out! ;)

Back