TPMS Sensors and new wheels

:
2014.5 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
Hello, I have ordered new wheels and working on tires I am just curious as to the TPMS system.
Does anyone who has done wheels and tires yet know what I need to do, do I need new sensors or
am I able to re use the ones in the stock wheels?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Can one just get new TPMS sensors with new set of tires and associate them with the car using the switch to the left of the steering wheel? I am thinking of getting a set of snows with sensors already in there. I don't want to have to swap the sensors back and forth.

the CX-5 doesn't use sensors in the tires, the ABS system monitors the rotation of the tires and if one tire rotates x amount of times more than the others it would detect said tire is low on pressure. i was curious about this system myself and tried it by deflating the rear passenger side down to 20psi and drove around town and the system does work, i heard a beep and TPMS light came on before i got too far, i didn't see anything that indicated which tire was low on pressure but works good enough for me.

the CX-5 doesn't use sensors in the tires, the ABS system monitors the rotation of the tires and if one tire rotates x amount of times more than the others it would detect said tire is low on pressure. i was curious about this system myself and tried it by deflating the rear passenger side down to 20psi and drove around town and the system does work, i heard a beep and TPMS light came on before i got too far, i didn't see anything that indicated which tire was low on pressure but works good enough for me.

Also these sensors are not as accurate as on wheel sensors, I'd much rather have these. Cheaper wheels!

Also these sensors are not as accurate as on wheel sensors, I'd much rather have these. Cheaper wheels!

True, they will not provide you the actual current pressure in your tires but they serve the same purpose which is to alert you that one (or multiple) tires are low. After dealing with the in-wheel sensors on two different vehicles, I will GLADLY use my pressure gauge to test them myself.

You may have to hit the TPMS reset on the left side of the dash. I assume first thing in the morning when the tires are cool and haven't been driven on for awhile, is the best time to do the reset. I would guess that it just zero's out the sensors.

Back