Android Aftermarket Head Unit ... Junk or Worth Consideration?

viki412ag

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
Hi everyone, I'm new here so go easy on me. I've read a lot of threads on the aftermarket Pioneer and Clarion head units people have tried, but I'm just not too keen on them. I Googled around and found this product on many sites, sold from China, no reviews that I've found yet.

http://www.happyshoppinglife.com/an...etooth-touch-screen-for-mazda-cx5-p-1671.html

I've been an Android person since the first phone came out and love the idea of this basically being Android device with a few car customizations. Apps will always be current and I'll have endless options of what I can do with this device in the car. Plus, I love Google Maps navigation and POI info. I have no issue with using my phone as a hot-spot for my car as a I have an unlimited data plan.

This is my second Mazda, had a true red 2007 Mazda3 GT before. Then we started a family and I got a 2014 CX-5 GT in Sky blue to give us more space. Love the car for so many reason but the infotainment system just really, really, really falls short as you all know. I was so disappointed by this since the CX-5's are supposed to be the latest and greatest in Mazda tech... oh well. :-(

Most days I end up listening to the FM radio because all the bluetooth stuff is so unreliable and slow that I usually arrive to my destination 15 mins away before everything starts working, if at all... :-( I just ordered a $16 smartphone mount for the car just so i can use the Aux jack and my phone's interface to listen to my music and use Google maps and not fumble with the retarded head unit. But... I don't want to use that forever so I'm planning on asking for a replacement head unit my Christmas gift this year. So I'm in the research/planning stage now...

So anyway - those who understand the head unit technical jargon. While the link I posted is written in pretty poor English, at the bottom of their page there is a wiring diagram and a bunch of technical details. So I was hoping that those of you who understand this stuff, if you could tell me what features would and wouldn't work with my 2014 CX-5 GT using this head unit... ??? Go... :)

Thanks!

The CD Player, Radio are the only reliable services in the NB-1. BT is not working with my Nexus 4 running 4.4.4. TomTom maps are nowhere near as accurate as GMaps and 3D view looks as choppy as my 386 computer did back in 1989. I don't use a USB stick for music any more as it forgets where it left off, random play is not random and it taken an eon to read a class 10 USB stick.

They claim full HD screen 800x480. Hull HD, is 1080p and not 480.
I believe, a while back we have talked about these units and a company(don't remember which one) suppose to come out, with a 1GB memory unit, which in my opinion is needed.
The processor is 1.2Ghz, but most likely it's not even dual core.

I have no idea about that radio, but it looks great! I think you should take one for the team, and buy and install it. Then let the rest of us know how well it works.

I agree with this guy ^^lol.

In my other car I did cheap tablet mount and use my tablet for media things. I've left the stock deck in. Here's a picture.
I may get a smaller tablet and do something similar.

Hi,
I just had installed one of this Chinese made HU, mine is not Android, WinCE instead. You may want to know these before you buy one of them:
1. The player took average 30 seconds to have its first audible sound and screen.It might be a huge time delay for you if you want to reverse your car immediately after ignition switched on, you not getting the reverse screen when you need it.(30sec, you already done your reverse I think)
2. The touch panel have too much glare refection while you drive in daytime.
3. The bluetooth could only pair with 1 phone at a time, you can't making call while connect other phone for music file. Stock player does this easily.
4. The music volume not partly mute when you have voice guidance from the navigation. kind of noisy while you have 2 voices at their highest level.
5. My wifi dongle doesn't work with this player.
6. You lost the voice dial function, no more "Ready.." when you press the voice command button on the steering wheel.
The positive about this HU are:
1. It fits perfectly into the console.
2. Wire connectors are plug n play, except you may need a DC step down if you want to retain stock camera.
3. It supports Bose amp and sounds great.
4. DVD function quick and stabile.
5. The preloaded navigation catch signal and recalculate route quickly, quicker than the stock TomTom.
Hope you will get a better one. enjoy.

Hi everyone, I'm new here so go easy on me. I've read a lot of threads on the aftermarket Pioneer and Clarion head units people have tried, but I'm just not too keen on them. I Googled around and found this product on many sites, sold from China, no reviews that I've found yet.

http://www.happyshoppinglife.com/an...etooth-touch-screen-for-mazda-cx5-p-1671.html

I've been an Android person since the first phone came out and love the idea of this basically being Android device with a few car customizations. Apps will always be current and I'll have endless options of what I can do with this device in the car. Plus, I love Google Maps navigation and POI info. I have no issue with using my phone as a hot-spot for my car as a I have an unlimited data plan.

This is my second Mazda, had a true red 2007 Mazda3 GT before. Then we started a family and I got a 2014 CX-5 GT in Sky blue to give us more space. Love the car for so many reason but the infotainment system just really, really, really falls short as you all know. I was so disappointed by this since the CX-5's are supposed to be the latest and greatest in Mazda tech... oh well. :-(

Most days I end up listening to the FM radio because all the bluetooth stuff is so unreliable and slow that I usually arrive to my destination 15 mins away before everything starts working, if at all... :-( I just ordered a $16 smartphone mount for the car just so i can use the Aux jack and my phone's interface to listen to my music and use Google maps and not fumble with the retarded head unit. But... I don't want to use that forever so I'm planning on asking for a replacement head unit my Christmas gift this year. So I'm in the research/planning stage now...

So anyway - those who understand the head unit technical jargon. While the link I posted is written in pretty poor English, at the bottom of their page there is a wiring diagram and a bunch of technical details. So I was hoping that those of you who understand this stuff, if you could tell me what features would and wouldn't work with my 2014 CX-5 GT using this head unit... ??? Go... :)

Thanks!

Hi,
I just had installed one of this Chinese made HU, mine is not Android, WinCE instead. You may want to know these before you buy one of them:
1. The player took average 30 seconds to have its first audible sound and screen.It might be a huge time delay for you if you want to reverse your car immediately after ignition switched on, you not getting the reverse screen when you need it.(30sec, you already done your reverse I think)
2. The touch panel have too much glare refection while you drive in daytime.
3. The bluetooth could only pair with 1 phone at a time, you can't making call while connect other phone for music file. Stock player does this easily.
4. The music volume not partly mute when you have voice guidance from the navigation. kind of noisy while you have 2 voices at their highest level.
5. My wifi dongle doesn't work with this player.
6. You lost the voice dial function, no more "Ready.." when you press the voice command button on the steering wheel.
The positive about this HU are:
1. It fits perfectly into the console.
2. Wire connectors are plug n play, except you may need a DC step down if you want to retain stock camera.
3. It supports Bose amp and sounds great.
4. DVD function quick and stabile.
5. The preloaded navigation catch signal and recalculate route quickly, quicker than the stock TomTom.
Hope you will get a better one. enjoy.

Thanks for that info. With this it sounds like it's good on paper but in practice it's less than perfect, particularly the 30 sec wait time for the backup camera for instance.

Back