2013 Mazda5 Sport Trip Computer FAIL

88Jeep

:
2013 Mazda5 Sport
I did this so you don't have to. We didn't feel like we needed the options available in the Touring or Grand Touring, and got a great deal on a 2013 Sport, but I really miss not having a trip computer for gas mileage and distance till empty. It bothers me that you can see that those options are available in the information display (when the sunlight hits it just right), but inactive.

I read a lot of posts from pre-2008 Mazda3 owners where they "tricked" the trip computer into working by pressing the AM/FM button and the CD button on the radio as they start the car, and they operate the trip computer using the clock buttons. At some point, Mazda got wise to this and the trick didn't work on newer models.

SO... I've been looking on eBay for a 2012+ Mazda5 leather steering wheel with the "INFO" button, and found one for $75, hoping that by having the proper switch and connections, the computer would work. Of course, the new steering wheel had the Bluetooth options that I was sure wouldn't work as Mazda wouldn't install expensive Bluetooth hardware in a car with no functionality. I was right about that.

I installed the new steering wheel last night, turned on the ignition, and no trip computer. The INFO button does nothing. I randomly pressed all sorts of buttons as I turned on and off the car... no luck.

In case anyone was wondering if a steering wheel from a Touring or GT will enable their trip computer on their Sport, I've saved you some money. It might be that the dealer would have to program the ECU for the trip computer to work, or the Sport lacks the proper wiring harness. Bummer.

On the other hand, I now have an OEM leather wrapped steering wheel.

Last edited:
Do the standard buttons still work though? I'm curious because I have a set of steering wheel controls from a Mazda 3 with Navi. I wonder if I could program it to work with my iDataLink Maestro.

I just use a ScanGauge E for a trip computer

P1100189 by tuanies, on Flickr

I edited my post to be more clear- I purchased a used Mazda5 steering wheel. Yes, the standard buttons still work (all cruise buttons and radio buttons on the steering wheel), its just that the INFO button on the steering wheel does nothing, and of course has no BlueTooth functionality.

The Sport steering wheel had a mute button, whereas the Touring and GT steering wheels with the INFO button and BlueTooth do not. None of the buttons on the replacement steering wheel mute the radio.

The ScanGauge looks like it was made for that opening! Nice!

Valiant effort!

I would bet the MPG calc is a firmware lock that can be unlocked – if you know how. This piece of code was either removed in the later models (unlikely) or it may still exist but they changed the unlock code (more likely). I’ve wondered (absolute random guessing, don’t try it on the account of what I say!) if you can bring this feature back by simply using a T/GT radio (+ the button – to toggle). From what I understand, the ECU is always collecting data but it is the feature of the radio that does the computation to display the raw data into something meaningful (avg mpg); just like the SG/UG is only a display calculator. The roadblock is likely the radio. Notice the radio wiring harness has two MS_CAN +/- (Mazda CAN Bus) wires which allows the radio to communicate with the car and why you would lose some features with aftermarket radios b/c manufacturers use different communication methods.

OEMs limited certain features so they can position products differently. Keep in mind Mazda is not in the business of making radios but they get to say what features of said radio goes with which package (to entice the buyer). I more-so-than-not doubt whoever manufactures the radio would take the effort to develop two-three different firmware for each trim’s (Sport/T/GT) radio. The easier way would be to limited functions (this is not to say revision do not occur). On the other hand, Bluetooth is a hardware requirement (controller, microphone, etc.) and would need corresponding software.

Here’s a little interesting tidbit. I had an ’08 Sport and now an ’08 GT. Aside from the obvious 6 disc changer, the GT radio has more volume range and more AVLS range (software changes) but I doubt the internal amp (hardware) is different. The ’09 Fit OEM Nav (Alpine) also has hidden features but no one can figure out how to unlock it, can only access/display it.

At least you get have a leather wheel :). It is much nicer to hold! Btw, what are you going to do with the Sport wheel?

I attempted to swap the steering wheel controls from a Mazda3 with navi to try and use the extra buttons for the stereo. It looks like unless you program the ECU, those features are unavailable. So that was a waste of time, but good to experiment I guess.

I just did the same thing. Bought a 2012 leather wheel for my 2014 sport 6sp manual. Got it for the leather but was hoping for bluetooth or trip computer. Neither worked. Kept the sport switch cluster since it is cleaner. Still happy, but i hate the blank trip computer. Maybe there is another computer needed for it to work?

Absolutely love the leather. Feels so much more high end.

The scangauge E is so much better a trip computer than the OEM its almost laughable, get one of those, install it as Tuanies did his and you will never miss the factory crap again. Just for starters the Scangauage has a user settable correction factor that over time means it is 100% accurate, as in down to a tenth of a gallon accurate which is something the OE trip meter can't do.

Scangauge E Install Information

Do the standard buttons still work though? I'm curious because I have a set of steering wheel controls from a Mazda 3 with Navi. I wonder if I could program it to work with my iDataLink Maestro.

I just use a ScanGauge E for a trip computer

P1100189 by tuanies, on Flickr

Taunies, Great job on finding a location to allow that Scangauge E to look factory installed. I have a 2013 sport so don't have any switches in use but thought when I looked up from below the dash saw some wires leading to the back of one of the false buttons (perhaps just securing an unused wire lead?). I was wondering if you needed to do any modifications to the dash to use the Scangauge E at the locations? Such as cutting out any plastic cross members that might be holding the false switch plates in? It is unclear if when all 4 false switch plates are removed if it will be 1 large opening or 4 smaller ones? I recall when I checked into purchasing a switch for that location from Mazda a few years ago (that I didn't end up doing) that the switch was held in with pressure tabs at the top and bottom, does that sound correct? Were they easy to remove? It has been a few years since you installed the scangauge, is it still working? Are you still happy with it? Is there anything you would do different?

Thanks in advance for any information you may provide, Whitegrill 5

I saw a DIY somewhere here but can't find it now. Once the switches are removed, it's one large opening with tabs that require some trimming, then I think the ScanGauge-E is a light press fit. I'm not sure if the trimming keeps you from being able to put the switches back in at a later date.

Back