More Turbo Setup Questions

Bebotech

:
2002 MP5
Hi there guys,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where is the best place to hook up the vacuum line for the wastegate and the BOV. Also, can someone tell me if this fitting works, http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TP&Product_Code=ATP-OIL-010&Category_Code=, and could be directly threaded to the back of the block for the oil feed line and can the oil pressure sensor can be hooked up? Next question is, I was told that the fuel pump and injectors needed to be changed if I was going to boost my P5, is this true if I am going to run factory MSP setup?
I was also told that the head and pistons on the MSP are different from regular 2.0 the P5 comes with. I am getting a lot of mix signals from different ppl, can someone please point me out toward the right direction. All of my turbo parts are OEM except the manifold and the FMIC and bov. I have pdf the how to turbocharge your P5 thread for me to refer to but, there is not how to on vacuum lines. I would really appreciate all of the assistance.

The injectors and fuel pump are identical between an N/A Protg and an MSP. The fitting is British standard, but not sure which. The engine, internally is IDENTICAL to an MSP. The ONLY different is the windage tray.

Hi there guys,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where is the best place to hook up the vacuum line for the wastegate and the BOV. Also, can someone tell me if this fitting works, http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TP&Product_Code=ATP-OIL-010&Category_Code=, and could be directly threaded to the back of the block for the oil feed line and can the oil pressure sensor can be hooked up? Next question is, I was told that the fuel pump and injectors needed to be changed if I was going to boost my P5, is this true if I am going to run factory MSP setup?
I was also told that the head and pistons on the MSP are different from regular 2.0 the P5 comes with. I am getting a lot of mix signals from different ppl, can someone please point me out toward the right direction. All of my turbo parts are OEM except the manifold and the FMIC and bov. I have pdf the how to turbocharge your P5 thread for me to refer to but, there is not how to on vacuum lines. I would really appreciate all of the assistance.

The best place to hookup the vacuum lines for the WG and BOV are off the intake manifold or off a source that is directly off it: like the large vacuum hose going to the brake boost. You can go to your local hardware store for the brass fittings to do the oil feed line. You will need an 1/8NPT Tee, 1/8BPT - 1/8NPT union, and an 1/8NPT - -4an fitting. The head and pistons are the same on the P5 as the MSP. Same motor with the exception of the oil drain port on the MSP engine girdle. You will need to tap and weld your oil pan to drain the oil from the turbo back to the motor.

Thank you so much guys, I have the MSP girdle so I think im in good shape. As for the vacuum I guess tee it from a vacuum line coming off of the intake manifold and I should be good. Another question should I run a oil restrictor on the gt25r?

I wouldn't run the oil restrictor at first. See if you need to before doing it.

The injectors and fuel pump are identical between an N/A Protg and an MSP. The fitting is British standard, but not sure which. The engine, internally is IDENTICAL to an MSP. The ONLY different is the windage tray.

Did the msp not get the walboro 255 pump that the mp3 got?

When I looked in ATPturbo.com it says that the gt25r does not get an oil restrictor but, the gentleman that sold me the parts told me I needed it one. One more question when installing my FMIC I read that I need to cut and bend the corner parts of the front end of the frame, don't really know the name if the part of the car; all I know is that when you take the bumper off there are corners on each side of the car's frame that I see ppl bending, my question is do I need a special tool to bend them or are they easy to bend?

Last edited:
They might be cutting the area near the radiator and running the pipes in there. People do it differently.

The area they are cutting is actually the frame area right below the headlights. They notch it and bend it back for piping clearance purposes. Can someone please tell me if the fitting I mentioned on the original post would work for the back of the block oil feed hookup?

It was 100% stock so highly unlikely. I read somewhere that they got the walboro and decided to pull it and see for s**** and giggles and it actually was a walboro

There is the slight chance it was replaced

That is great guys but, can someone tell me if the oil feed line fitting I mention on the original post would work for the back of the block of my P5?

The best place to hookup the vacuum lines for the WG and BOV are off the intake manifold or off a source that is directly off it: like the large vacuum hose going to the brake boost.

Not to discount whatmy old friend Ryan said here, but I want to chime in to say that after years of rolling around with several turbo kits on my MP3, I have learned that you do NOT want the wastegate to see vacuum. If you are using the internal wastegate of the turbo, you want it connected to a boost-only source. One of the main reasons for failure of internal wastegates is that they were connected to a source that saw vacuum and boost. This push and pull on the diaphragm rips it and causes it to fail prematurely.

Back