Hi

FreedomFries

:
1996 Mazda Lantis
1996 Mazda Lantis

hi i have a 1996 mazda lantis, the more sedan type shape not the hatchback. being 1996 must be one of the last examples made in that shape, and it is mine. in a nightsky blue, very dark metallic blue - would look awesome with the paint job re-done with the original paint imo. this woman i know ****** it over with keys and chemicals, i hold no grudge, but i don't think we will be a couple lol. i saw an example in a maroon red kind of colour been lowered appears very racy would like the same for mine. i have no pictures but maybe tomorrow i will take one and show you then in this thread.

Last edited:
hi again i still have my lantis but i haven't been driving my other car is a renault i have been driving that.

i want to do the car in matte black over the body then replace the pinstripe and also remove the emblem from the back and replace it with a mazdarati decal but plastidip can be temporary if someone decides to pick it off your car with their fingers. i want to lower it as well and put new wheels on it i am thinking like see through pedal bicycle styled wheels or something near that probably also in black.

what i want to know is, is it true it is difficult to modify a lantis because of the availability of parts? i see a picture of an example here...

astina_lowered_back.jpg

does this have a bodykit? i would like that bodykit for mine however also a sports muffler that will produce a bellowed sound. how high off the ground has that been lowered to? i think matte black plastidip suits more rounder cars.

i have decided i will probably paint my lantis a gloss black or a gloss silver if i can. i don't see the mazdarati decals for sale anymore but the registration is available so that means i could have plates that read MZDRTI short for mazdarati. MAZRTI is actually taken. MAZRAT could work.

i also want to replace the pinstripe on the car with the original red and silver after i have painted it with plastidip.

i see a late naught ford mondeo just out of the central business district with wheels i particularly like and of which i think would suit my lantis. the mondeo is the lantis's sister back in the nineties the two models of each ford and mazda have stark similiarities.

also looking to see whether i can get the same bodykit on my lantis as the one shown above.

i will be back tomorrow with pictures.

Last edited:
well the picture won't load it is a black ford mondeo third generation with mag wheels. the mondeo is a lot like a lantis certainly in their beginnings that's why i make the comparison.

as i had a lot of money cheated and stolen from me my father said he could pay for a total body paintjob of my lantis. as it is, it has six coats of blaze blue plastidip on it - but the blue is too bright for my liking so i want to strip it off. being plastidip, it should just peel off with the fingers, but given only the six coats i am having difficulty. the tops of the cans are deceiving in the pictures as the colour chart compared to how they look on the shelf - i also found this with the grey but i went ahead anyway and i am happy with the result the job needs more and more plastidip glossifier. i painted my other car with twelve coats, a 1998 renault megane rxe which if it were to be a mazda would be a mazda 3.

i think one of these four colours, with the exception of an orange of some type, but i think a dark blue or a turquoise green. these are dupont paints.

mag wheels also - i am rather keen on these below. they are advanti racing ignites - advanti is italian. i have the option of plastidip but if so then probably black but i will more than likely leave them chrome silver. i will have the car lowered and finally a sports muffler - a lot like what i had on a 2003 alfa romeo sportwagon i used to own, not a factory or big bore.

so that's the plan so far. all that will cost well over five thousand dollars.

bye for now.

Attachments

• lantiscolours.jpg
    lantiscolours.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 276
  • Ignite.jpg
    Ignite.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 294
what is an easy way of removing six coats of plastidip without using your fingers or too much rubbing? six coats isn't very thick so it is harder to remove otherwise.

this is the car here attached.

it isn't the type r, it is just the standard, but spoilers can be customised too and rpm and so on.

Attachments

• WP_20150112_002[1].jpg
    WP_20150112_002[1].jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 300
i have noticed the transmission being clunky at times on the road, the car is heading for a transmission breakdown. my understanding is transmissions can be expensive to fix and besides, i have another car, a european hot hatch from france, which i could devote the funds - but unsure as to whether that has a tranmission fault too. you are probably wondering whether i got the plastidip off, well, i did, but the car really needs another going over with paint thinner to complete the job. what i would be better off doing is buying two new cars the same rather than repairing the two i already have.

how does one reduce the wind noise on high speed roads? i get up to one hundred kilometre an hour and the wind blows through the glass so much. has anyone else had this problem with a mazda lantis or other car?

i should have remembered to add, my lantis had two new shock absorbers fitted at the front and a new left hand tyre with one brake pad to make it road worthy. the car is still in a bad way i will be probably be almost four or five thousand dollars out of pocket before i have tinkered with it to my satisfaction. it is a funny little car because the transmission malfunctions at the same point on the road nearest my house but nowhere else so it is up in the air as to whether there is actually a problem. i want to lower it and do all kinds of those street modifications to it. i would like limosine tint but in new zealand that is illegal if on all four windows. so if anyone can help me with my problems they are, the transmission and the wind noise through both my front windows. i can provide pictures.

2pskhe8.jpg

I have already tried to seal up the gap of the drivers side window with silicone sealant but wind still blows through when driving.

2pskhe8.jpg

this is a picture of the car without loud and proud blue plastidip. the blue was too bright for my liking and deceptive because the colour on the can features a dark blue... not so when you apply it.

Last edited:
man, I think this "other mazda" forum is a ghost town.

but, does anyone know whether seating from a 1999 ford laser or Mondeo ghia will fit in my lantis?

Sorry bro, we don't have the Lantis, Mondeo OR the Laser on America or I'm sure a few of us woulda chimed in by now... Measure the seat rails and see if they line up!

Here's a few thoughts...It's a Japanese car. Put Japanese wheels on it :) . Volk, Advan, and Work are three great names. If those are too expensive, maybe a set of Enkeis or even Racing Harts from a Mazdaspeed Protege? It's tough to see how many lugs your wheels have from the pics. Just remember to pay attention to offsets.

Has the car been wrecked? If not, and if everything (body panels and doors) is straight and aligned, I'd see about replacing the rubber seal that surrounds the window. I'll bet you can find a good one at a junkyard, and I'll bet that'll help with the wind noise.
Replacing the transmission fluid is pretty easy too, and chances are that will help with the clunky transmission (5-speed? auto?) Redline, Royal Purple, and Synchromesh are all good gear oils.

This thread rocks though. Carry on, Fries! (friday)

Last edited:
so we are slowly heading our way out of summer and my god the time has flown by.

I have attached two images to this thread which were previously unseen before, I think. these images have the blue plastidip on my vehicle but ended up thinning it all off because it was too bright a blue. this would have been the summer of 2015/2016.

but just tonight, I have washed my floormats and I would like an embroiderer to tailor LANTIS on each front mat probably in a white.

it has been many years already. the car has been warranted road worthy a few times and serviced also. I went to the aa (automobile association) for all of my warrants and servicing - except the odd occasion at mazda motors - where I will try to avoid in future as I suspect they overcharge too much!

the vehicle also visited a panelbeater to fix the wind noise coming through my two front windows - job incomplete.

Attachments

• WP_20150302_001[1].jpg
    WP_20150302_001[1].jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 229
  • WP_20150112_002[1].jpg
    WP_20150112_002[1].jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 227
that's a bit strange! I can't upload any more pictures at the moment!

just know I am taking my build of my mazda lantis ff layout more seriously.

Back