How to Install - Tissue Box Straps in your CX5

:
95 Miata, 14 CX5 Touring FWD, 18 CX9 GT FWD
Not sure about you guys, but I like to keep a box of tissues in the car. However, I could never find a good place in the CX5 to keep the tissue box in a stable place. So I made my own.

20140727_150112_RichtoneHDR_zpsb0e9ad92.jpg

The location of the box does not interfere with the folding down of the rear seats. The straps also make it easy to remove the tissue box when carrying that 5th person and maintains the original foot space.

Here's how you can do it too!

Materials:
- about 2ft of 1 inch wide black stretchy band. I bought mine at a fabric store, but I'm sure arts and craft places have it too.
- Any sort of glue that can glue the fabric to plastic. I used Marine Goop because I had some left over. Hot glue + hot glue gun should work fine too.
- File or sand paper to roughen surface of plastic.
- Clothes pins to help hold things in place.

1. First remove the plastic cover by pulling straight back. I used a plastic crowbar and pried at the top first, then worked my way down.
20140727_140318_zpsa0b0459e.jpg

2. Using my tissue box and some clothes pins, I test fit where a good height would be for the strap. You can also add an additional strap higher up to hold the standard/larger tissue box. Cut the stretchy band to a length where the straps won't be loose when there is no tissue box. The straps should be able to stretch enough to accommodate a box.
20140727_140803_zps97d08a84.jpg

20140727_143723_zps5126942b.jpg

3. Use the sand paper or file to roughen up where the ends of the straps would be for your ideal heights.
20140727_141008_zpsdbfd5ca7.jpg

20140727_141534_zpsfc0c1456.jpg

4. Add a nice dollop of glue to roughened area and glue on straps. Adjust straps as necessary for optimal appearance and functionality before glue sets. You can use clothes pins to hold the straps in place while glue dries.
20140727_141545_zpsdb214d92.jpg

20140727_141624_zps1f205b5d.jpg

20140727_144116_zpsc7f3b5b6.jpg

5. Let the glue dry, then re-install the panel, and say good bye to the days of a wandering tissue box!
20140727_150044_zps125969db.jpg

20140727_150112_RichtoneHDR_zpsb0e9ad92.jpg

20140727_150154_RichtoneHDR_zpse67ed183.jpg

(cheers)

Very nice. At present I toss mine on the seat but, may try your idea as it looks great. Ed

Not sure about you guys, but I like to keep a box of tissues in the car. However, I could never find a good place in the CX5 to keep the tissue box in a stable place. So I made my own.
Props to deepfriedsushi for this simple mod. I had a Velcro strap laying around from an jogger's iPod arm band converted to use for my tissue box holder, so it cost me $0. No More Tears (rockon). And it doesn't get squished when the seats get folded down. Thanks for the write up (thumb)
u9ata7ut.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet! Glad you found it helpful.

joemon1984 , thanks for those suggestions. I had no idea those products existed. In my old car, the protege5, I could fit a large tissue box in the same position as this mod, but horizontally and it would fit snuggly in place all on it's own. So that location is what I've been used to for over a decade. This was the only way I could think of to preserve that location and to keep the box from moving around.

attachment.php

found a nice round cylinder of kleenex at safeway, fits nicely into the 2nd cup holder

next project is finding a pass side garbage bag to discreetly attach to the side of the console,
seen a few i like online, just a matter of finding it locally

Creative and SUPER DUPER nice writeup. That's a lot of detail and great photos to compliment it. I used to do a lot of tutorials too and it takes a ton of time to record and post everything. Much props. But wouldn't some cheap industrial velcro from Harbor Freight Tools make for a cleaner look and easier installation? Or even a single 2" length of 3M exterior grey double sided tape, unless you really need to remove it from its location constantly.

Great write up and thanks for this! I ordered some elastic strap and am going to give this a go.

I did this installation this afternoon - just used some hot glue and didn't need to rough up the backside of the panel. Thanks again - great idea!

21836369812_bcceb09b0c_c.jpg

Creative and SUPER DUPER nice writeup. That's a lot of detail and great photos to compliment it. I used to do a lot of tutorials too and it takes a ton of time to record and post everything. Much props. But wouldn't some cheap industrial velcro from Harbor Freight Tools make for a cleaner look and easier installation? Or even a single 2" length of 3M exterior grey double sided tape, unless you really need to remove it from its location constantly.

Thanks for the compliment! Velcro could also work. However, I wanted the straps to stay out of the way when the tissue box is removed when a person sits in the middle seat.

raystafarian - Glad it worked out for you! (drinks)

I considered trying something other than the straps, but the rate at which my girlfriend goes through tissues, I'd be hard-pressed to find an easier way to insert a new box!

Back