EGR and Custom Header Questions

Nalrac

:
2002 Protege5
Hey Folks,

After my first week in my "new" P5 I'm really loving it and I also have some more questions. The last guy who owned it put in a custom header and exhaust. The header is very similar to this (https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)) From what I understand this system deletes the pre-cat. FYI, I also have a CAI in it as well.

The thing runs like a champ and the only CEL I have is in regards to the VTCS solenoid. However, he said couldn't connect the EGR pipe (was at the wrong angle) and just capped off the port on the header. The EGR pipe is just there and open. At this point, it doesn't seem to be affecting performance. What are the potential repercussions of this?

Last edited:
Just there and open? Other end goes into intake manifold. Sounds like you have additional unfiltered air intake. The egr nipple on the header in your link is at bad angle. If yours is same then that is why it was left open. Previous owner too lazy to do water heater line mod which is only way to hook up EGR on headers like that. The good ones have the egr nipple parallel to flange instead of at an angle.

Look at the egr nipple on this one how it is parallel to header flange.................

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Yeah, just there and open. I found the thread about the modification using the kit from Home Depot. Looks pretty straightforward.

The only question that I have is about removing the old line. What's the easiest way to remove it from the intake manifold? Looks like I might have to remove the entire air intake, correct?

i just did this due to threads self destructing trying to remove the end from a 10 yr old header to swap in a nice new coated one. got new line. had to remove the battery, intake, some wiring & throttle body to have just enough room to get on the nut with an 8 inch craftsman crescent wrench. short of cutting the line and using 26mm socket, not sure how else to do it without removing upper half of intake manifold to get any better access. can't pull whole manifold because not any way to get manifold out with egr pipe still connected.

Okay, so I was able to use a breaker bar and bend the existing pipe into position. It actually worked out surprisingly well. it looked like it was way too far off but it was easier than I thought to manipulate it to fit.

Back