Protege5: Question about Rebuilding Engine (And possibly turbo)

Victor1994

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hello!

So apparently I received some bad news today. One of my rod bearings in my 02 P5 seems to have come loose. (My car overheated when the radiator spilled all of the coolant one morning to work a couple months ago :( So I'm thinking the heat caused it). There is a small tick at the bottom, but only occurs when slowing down on the highway without pressing the brake or slowly accelerating until I get to a steady speed, which is when the ticking stops.

BUT anyway! Tick or no tick, I was interested in rebuilding the engine anyway, along with possibly putting turbo in the future. My question is, what are the necessary parts I need to rebuild the engine and have it turbo ready? If anyone on here has put turbo in their P5, can you provide a list of what you looked into?

forged connecting rods, forged pistons and connecting rod bolts.

I would be careful with your engine though. You said it crapped out because of overheating which could lead to more problems down the road. Make sure the head hasn't warped.

forged connecting rods, forged pistons and connecting rod bolts.

I would be careful with your engine though. You said it crapped out because of overheating which could lead to more problems down the road. Make sure the head hasn't warped.

I already had the engine repaired a couple weeks after it overheated (Thankful I was covered). The overheating incident happened in March this year. The car has ran beautifully since then except there's a tick that comes when decelerating over 50mph (It has gotten more quiet recently, but can be noticed still with no music playing and windows up). Driving in the city or anything below 50mph has no ticking.

It will probly need a crank. And it really depends how much power you want to make. 200 whp or less you will be fine with oem rods and pistons

Be careful how long you ride with that tick. I drove about a week with that noise, and I ended up putting a rod through the block. Replaced with a used engine which only lasted a year.
So if you know how to rebuild that yourself, good idea. Just Don't wait too long while driving it.

Back