Coolant Issue

TheFrycook

:
2003/ Mazda Protege5/ Base Wagon
Hey all!! I'm new to the this forum, but I've been lurking for quite some time. (nailbyt)

I am the proud owner of a 2003 MP5, but due to the 149k miles on this car things are starting to go bad.

The biggest issue that I can notice is the heat coming from the engine after driving to work (10 minute drive). I never get it over 45 due to a bunch of rural 4-way stop signs and traffic lights but it still manages to get pretty hot. The temp gauge stays about 1 or 2 ticks below the halfway mark and never increases or decreases while driving, which makes me think that I could have a faulty Thermostat.

SOMEONE HELP!

If I recall my temp guage sits right below half way. Your thermostat shouldnt very in temperature once its up to normal operating temperature. If you believe your car is getting to warm, check your coolant level. Are your cooling fans coming on?

Yes they are. The coolant is draining awfully fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draining fast? Find the leak! Check hoses, radiator, thermostat housing, etc.

For now, keep it filled with De-ionized or distilled water.

Don't let it overheat too far or else you can damage your engine. Your driving actually would cause it to heat up more, highway driving would cool it more.

Not too sure about this, but if the coolant doesn't pass by the sensor, it will not give you the right temp reading.

Finally, your fans come on to compensate for increasing temperatures, but isn't really doing much since there isn't enough coolant.

find your source of your coolant loss is it burning it, or leaking it out? easy way to know is look under hood and crawl under while off and look for white deposits this is a sure fire way of identifying a leak in a coolant system when coolant dries it leaves white deposits. if none are found it maybe burning it, do you notice a smell like burning sugar? at the age and mileage of the car i would change thermostat and hoses and flush it as well as put in fresh coolant anyway. if no change then water pump would be next, and while doing that it is a good idea to get the timing belt done as they are both right there

Hey all!! I'm new to the this forum, but I've been lurking for quite some time. (nailbyt)

I am the proud owner of a 2003 MP5, but due to the 149k miles on this car things are starting to go bad.

The biggest issue that I can notice is the heat coming from the engine after driving to work (10 minute drive). I never get it over 45 due to a bunch of rural 4-way stop signs and traffic lights but it still manages to get pretty hot. The temp gauge stays about 1 or 2 ticks below the halfway mark and never increases or decreases while driving, which makes me think that I could have a faulty Thermostat.

SOMEONE HELP!

i think you got a normal car, or you think the gauge is faulty.
when you start the car in morning does the gauge rises?

Last edited:
Back