Come clutch and flywheel shopping with me.

denim

SSAudio.com
:
2003 Protege5 5-speed / 2005 RX-8 Skinka
Ok, I have been doing my research and weighing the options while considering the age of the car (2003), and the mileage (175k). But also keeping in mind, it is driven hard daily for Baltimore city commuting, along with occasional AutoCross in STC or STF classes when the RX8 is on the lift, and sometimes a heavy show car audio system installed. So I wanted to ask some suggestions with my mixed needs.

Cliffs:

• Need a new clutch/flywheel

Needs:

• Not too much over OEM pricing due to age and mileage
  • Slight increase in performance over OEM (be it lighter flywheel and/or heavy duty clutch)
  • Handle mostly hard daily city driving but with a mix of AutoCross from time to time

exedy clutch kit from rockauto.com exedy is the oem brand and rock auto has it for a great price, i got my flywheel from autozone and have not had any issues for the few months i have had them on. i do alot of city driving and the clutch feel is prefect for this car and my driving habits (somewhat aggressive)

Exedy kit with all bearings and a quality new flywheel. Most people with "stage" whatever clutches don't really need them. Don't make your car worse for the 1% of the time you drive it autocross. Don't bother getting the flywheel resurfaced, it's just about the same price to get a new one.

mp5la is 100% correct and as everyone else stated above order your exedy kit online and go to the local parts store and get a new flywheel, and your car will be 100% again

Thanks guys. That clutch was one of the ones I had come across.

Is anyone using a lighter weight flywheel or one of the ones off Rockauto?

Back