Shorter Automatic Sport Shifter?

that70machine

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys,

New member here, been floating around for a while till I finally decided to join. I've had a P5 with the sport auto for a while, and I know the gigantic leather shift knob screws off. Problem is, the shifter stalk is so tall that putting a less obnoxious knob looks funky because the damn thing towers over the console. Is there a thread in here that shows how to cut the chrome stalk and shorten it? Been looking around but I can't find anything. Thanks in advance and glad to be part of the forum!!

Josue

Thats what I've been wanting to do, I know you have to cut and rethread and you should be good to go.

Thats what I've been wanting to do, I know you have to cut and rethread and you should be good to go.

Yeah I assumed that much, and I'd like to remove the shifter stalk to do the cutting outside of the car. But once I remove the console and see the clusterf*ck of parts in the shifter assembly, I immediately back off. I hope someone here has done it and can walk us through the disassembly. The car is my daily and I don't want to make a mess if I won't be able to put it back together quickly. Once the stalk is out, cutting and rethreading should be cake.

All u need to do is remove the center console shouls be about 6-8 screws/bolts, then remove and 4 bolts holding down the shifter base, remove shifter cable out of the way and its out. Mine is and 02 and I installed the 03 shifter for looks, came out good

All u need to do is remove the center console shouls be about 6-8 screws/bolts, then remove and 4 bolts holding down the shifter base, remove shifter cable out of the way and its out. Mine is and 02 and I installed the 03 shifter for looks, came out good

Ahhhhh that information is gold to me! I guess that's what I'll be doing this weekend then. Thanks a million!

Back