Trying to find the fuse/circuit for night time interior illumination

:
CX-5 Diesel
EDITED:

The goal is to install LED lighting so it would light up the floor area of the cabin during Night Mode. Mood lighting.

I've figured since the light is commended by the BCM, other not so smart devices such as the A/C panel or the shifter must have a hard wire instead of using CAN BUS message.

So I took off the shifter and measured all the pins, found that the white pin is responsible for the night time lighting.

This is how it's done-
(Note, I think there is a difference between 2013 and 2014 wiring, since the shiftgate's design is different and my car's connector doesn't match wiring diagram for 2013. )
--------------------
1. Remove the shift panel
1.JPG
2.JPG
2. Locate the electrical wire connection that's responsible for the shift gate lighting and signal. It's on the shifter mount.
3.JPG
4.JPG
3. There is a 8 pin connector, with 7 pins populated. The white one - on the shifter mount - is the one responsible for night time illumination.
By now, you should have a mess that looks like this!
IMG-20140727-WA0004.jpg
4. So run cable from that white wire as positive and then run a separate ground wire from any grounding point to your LED or any lights you want to be illuminated when in night time.

(It will be a good idea to run a separate fuse when you tap into the shifter lighting (white cable). I would personally recommend not to put a heavy load onto that white cable!

-Original Post -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to install a few interior lights that will be lit during night time, or when ever the vehicle determine it's dark enough to light up.

I've been looking through wiring diagrams but it doesn't actually say much!!

I know from Audio stuff, fuse #11 is on when in Accessories, but I'm struggling to find a line is is on when in Night time.

Also, I'm trying to find a door ajar circuit, when the door is open.

Help? Thanks in advance!!!

==== additional info =====
Where is the BCM located? Body Control Module? The interior reading light and the map lights are wired directly to BCM, therefore I might be able to tap into those..

Last edited:
I want to install a few interior lights that will be lit during night time, or when ever the vehicle determine it's dark enough to light up.

I've been looking through wiring diagrams but it doesn't actually say much!!

I know from Audio stuff, fuse #11 is on when in Accessories, but I'm struggling to find a line is is on when in Night time.

Also, I'm trying to find a door ajar circuit, when the door is open.

Help? Thanks in advance!!!

==== additional info =====
Where is the BCM located? Body Control Module? The interior reading light and the map lights are wired directly to BCM, therefore I might be able to tap into those..

It's under the hood. The highest number fuse 56 or 65. Something like that. It also controls the ignition button in the interior. Lose that baby and no car start. Ask me how I know

Let me know how you route it through the firewall.

You mean from engine bay to the interior? Same as the power for the amp, push through the connection plug on the firewall, it's behind the battery on one side and behind the dashboard on the other.

Firewall routing<a href="http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123840777-Finally!-my-Aftermarket-Subwoofer-and-Amplifier-Integration-into-Bose-Audio-How-To">here</a>

Muchas Gracias. Looks like playtime for me too. I did not see the plug behind the battery but will look for it now.

I'll do some ambient led strips for the dark winter months.

I think the red is toooo red, I couldn't find amber LED that matches the OEM color....
DSC_0107.JPG

And this is my garage for the day!
DSC_0108.JPG

Last edited:
Back