Introducing the All-New 2016 Mazda2

Any one else think that the rear end isn't much of a departure from the current model? The rear bumper and diffuser part are literally almost the same in almost every way to the current one. Front profile looks awesome though.

Last edited:
Have you guys seen this Japanese test drive video yet..?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FflzX9Y_LW0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

@ Antoine: Don't you have any inside men at Mazda Japan? Get some MAZDASPEED2 rumors!!! :)

I wish...I've met some people here that probably do have insight on a MAZDASPEED2 but they are super "tight-lipped"...I wouldn't loose hope but I think it depends a lot on the sales of the new 2...If they can move a lot more of them and combined with Mazda's desire to move "up market"...We could see a MS2 in a few years but we'll probably see a new MS3 before that...Don't loose hope and keep reminding Mazda! (rockon)

I wish...I've met some people here that probably do have insight on a MAZDASPEED2 but they are super "tight-lipped"...I wouldn't loose hope but I think it depends a lot on the sales of the new 2...If they can move a lot more of them and combined with Mazda's desire to move "up market"...We could see a MS2 in a few years but we'll probably see a new MS3 before that...Don't loose hope and keep reminding Mazda! (rockon)
I was thinking the same thing. The MS3 has been a money-maker since it was introduced in 2007 and it took 3 model years to introduce. I wouldn't expect a new MS3 until 2016 or 2017 so a MS2 would have to wait until after that. Even then, Mazda doesn't have a track record of supporting multiple "Mazdaspeed" models at one time. The future of "Mazdaspeed" itself is uncertain since Mazda has rebranded their racing devision "Mazda Motorsports."

How does the new size compare to the other cars in the it's class? I suspect Mazda needed to add to the size to make it's design language work.

Everyone else has expanded their dimensions (the new Fit is HUGE), so I bet the 2 is still actually the most compact of the subcompacts.

Never liked the secretive nature of the automotive industry. I understand it but I wish they were a little more open to sharing with fans.

If we have to wait for a MS3 to come out first then the MS2 would potentially come out like in 5-6 years. That sounds terrible. If Mazda does want to move "up market" and compete with Ford then they should launch a MS3 and a MS2 with a year of each other. Mazda with it's "ZOOM ZOOM" trade mark should have many more "ZOOM ZOOM" versions.

Mazda has never had a MS2 so what better time than now with Mazda's new 2 that is screaming to be turned into a hatch hot. I'm trying to be optimistic!! :)

I was thinking the same thing. The MS3 has been a money-maker since it was introduced in 2007 and it took 3 model years to introduce. I wouldn't expect a new MS3 until 2016 or 2017 so a MS2 would have to wait until after that. Even then, Mazda doesn't have a track record of supporting multiple "Mazdaspeed" models at one time. The future of "Mazdaspeed" itself is uncertain since Mazda has rebranded their racing devision "Mazda Motorsports."

Well, doesn't it fit in the current 2? I'm pretty sure it was done with heavy modification.

It probably could though, I don't know how much space would be in there seeing as it is smaller than the 3. It'd be right in the ballpark of the Mini Cooper S if it had the 2.5.

I hope they bring out a turbo version here in Australia just like Ford have done with their Fiesta St Ecoboost. 1.6L turbo.

Definitely a much more interesting design than the current 2, hopefully that translates to more sales. At least where I am, you see very few 2's on the road. I like the car, but this is a very crowded segment, both car wise and price wise. I had a positive experience in a rental Chevy Sonic a few weeks ago and if GM can build a good small car, the challenge is real

Just got this Mazda Ad yesterday with the paper here in Japan...I'm looking forward to seeing the new Mazda2 in the wild! :D

15430845376_dea1313dae_b.jpg

Wait, why can't you get the SkyActiv-G with a manual?

And I wonder if that 30.0km/L figure is accurate with the diesel...that would mean 70 MPG.

Last edited:
Lucky you! here in Europe they will be shipping the diesel engine just with the manual transmission resulting in a mere 220 Nm torque instead of your 260 with AT (-15%). No change in max power, likely the higher torque is in low-mid rpm zone.

Is there any information regarding 0-100 Km/h figures?

EDIT: 2015 Mazda Demio is Car Of The Year in Japan; the drooling continues...

Last edited:
Will the U.S. Version come with those JDM style headlights =)! It so I'm looking forward to it

Back