High Idle on Start Up after EGR valve switch

blk02P5

:
Mazda Protege5
Hey guys,

I recently had my EGR valve changed and when I got the car back, on every start-up it revs to 2500 RPM and stays there long enough that I can get out of my driveway start driving and put it in 3rd gear and idle down the road without a problem. I understand they start high and drop down but before the work it would only go up to 1500 maybe 2000 for a second and drop down. This isn't dropping down anymore. I'm not terribly concerned, but I know it doesn't need to be that high and its irritating to listen to it at 5:00-5:30 in the morning.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I would take it back to the place that replaced it and ask them to double check that everything is torqued to specifications, do you know if they used a new gasket?

Your other bet is to try to see if anything looks out of the ordinary around the intake area of your engine bay, your issue could be a number of things, but if you didn't do the work yourself, it makes it difficult to pin point what it is.

Is the cars engine idling steadily or is it bouncing around?

They did put a new gasket on it and once it calms its self down it idles steadily, it sits right around 800rpm which is a little higher than it used to be but its nice and smooth. Ill take a look at everything again today but nothing looked out of the ordinary but last I checked it all looked the same as when it went in, granted with a new EGR valve

Back