Will not stay running

Hi all,

I put my intake back in recently after being cleaned inside and out with ALL new gaskets, except IAC. I had cranking issues which have been resolved, I now have a problem with keeping the car on.

The car starts normally, but will die soon after. I kept the engine alive by pumping the gas a little and it helped, even letting off the gas 5 seconds later it would stay on and keep running for a while longer and eventually die.

What do you guys think it could be?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I put my intake back in recently after being cleaned inside and out with new gaskets. I had cranking issues which have been resolved, I now have a problem with keeping the car on.

The car starts normally, but will die soon after. I kept the engine alive by pumping the gas a little and it helped, even letting off the gas 5 seconds later it would stay on and keep running for a while longer and eventually die.

What do you guys think it could be?

Did you replace the throttle body gasket?

You've got to have a damaged/pinched gasket somewhere. I've seen threads almost identical to yours numerous times and it's almost always the case.

With the engine running (you may need help) spray carb cleaner starting at the manifold-to-head and listen for the engine to rev. If it doesn't, then proceed on to the upper/lower joint, and continue from there to find the vacuum leak.

GL!

Thanks JPerera, He didn't have a clean IM gasket surface, mine is absolutely clean and I am using new fel-pro gaskets everywhere.

With the engine running (you may need help) spray carb cleaner starting at the manifold-to-head and listen for the engine to rev. If it doesn't, then proceed on to the upper/lower joint, and continue from there to find the vacuum leak.

GL!

I am going to try to avoid the carb cleaner for now as my intake is painted, but I can hear a distinct hissing from the drivers seat. Hopefully I can track it down fairly easily.

Although I didn't have time to mess around with it last night, I did start it this morning and thats where I heared the hissing. The car was also able to stay on the entire time without stalling and without me pressing on the gas, however it was still running really rough.

I am also going to try to check that all the bolts have been torqued down properly again.

So I tightened everything down again and the only 2 things that weren't good was the fuel rail and intake tube at the TB.

Now the car starts and idles steady, however it is idling too high...

- After fully warm, it is at 1600 RPM.
- If I give it some gas, the throttle response is good, but when it returns, it bounces between 1.6k and 2.0k RPM for 5 seconds, in a very controlled manner (I would suspect the IAC is compensating for a leak here) and then goes back to normal.

What do you guys think? Still a vacuum leak?

I am going to wait for it to cool and try tightening down the EGR pipe and check AFRs.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention, when I shut the car off, its very rough, the whole car shakes, as if it just stalled or if I pulled out all the coils simultaneously.

Last edited:
Took out the intake (40 minutes), cleaned IAC with compressed air, reinstalled with proper torque (24Nm) and in the correct pattern (inside to out), put the rest back together and voila, she runs and idles great!

Pretty sure it was the intake manifold gasket.

I could still hear a hissing sound around the throttle body or injector 4 area, is this normal?

I feel like the lower seal for the injectors is what is causing me these issues. Do you guys know if I should put some kind of grease before reinstalling the lower injector seals?

Back