Bought a 2015 CX5 GT couple days ago.

I wonder if something was sticking with either the emergency brake cable or a rear caliper? Do pads in the rear look basically new? I have just a little more miles on mine now than yours. I've seen a few posts...not many about caliper slide pins that weren't overly lubed.

very possible. until she hears it again i guess i will have to just wait.

When you replace a tire or top up pressures you need to press the TPMS button. Otherwise the system can't work properly.

After a reset it takes 15 or 20 miles of driving to complete the initialization and become functional.

I have topped up my tires on many occasions as well as swapped tires (summer/winter) and I have never touched the TPMS button nor have I ever had the dash notification come on.

it can work properly without a reset just fine if you haven't had something like a flat like i did. but i had some data in there that had to be reset. But I agree you don't have to press it when you change your wheels. Howver it's still a good idea to reset to a new tire and wheel just in case, only takes 2 seconds.

very possible. until she hears it again i guess i will have to just wait.

It was likely the brake pads stuck to the disc from a little rust. When this happens there is a loud "clunk" as the pads pop free. If you are not familiar with it, it sounds like a big metal part just broke but it's nothing to worry about.

This happens after driving in the rain.

It was likely the brake pads stuck to the disc from a little rust. When this happens there is a loud "clunk" as the pads pop free. If you are not familiar with it, it sounds like a big metal part just broke but it's nothing to worry about.

This happens after driving in the rain.

good call! that makes a lot of sense. they sort of get like a film on them causing suction or something? I thought it was strange because she was using the brakes all the way home. Do you mean the parking brake pads specifically? (I don't know the rear brake design of this car yet.)

but this happened when she got home AFTER driving an hour in the rain, and when she pulled up on her parking brake in the driveway.

Last edited:
The emergency parking brakes on CX-5 are of the design where the emergency parking brake cable actuates the rear calipers. There are no separate pads or shoes.

good call! that makes a lot of sense. they sort of get like a film on them causing suction or something? I thought it was strange because she was using the brakes all the way home. Do you mean the parking brake pads specifically? (I don't know the rear brake design of this car yet.)

but this happened when she got home AFTER driving an hour in the rain, and when she pulled up on her parking brake in the driveway.

The rear pads are also used as the parking brake although they are cable operated when parking, not hydraulic. If the noise happened immediately offer a drive, it could not have been the pads breaking free from the disc as I guessed but perhaps the cable mechanism rusted and popped free when the brake was applied. Who knows but it appears to be working normally now.

This will be a good reference for those that plan to change oil themselves.

Interesting on the oil pressure light. I don't see one on mine light before start either. In owners manual on page 4-26 & 4-30 it lists one as being there.

It appears low oil pressure is indicated on multi-function display. (Page 4-23)

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-14%20at%203.35.21%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-14%20at%203.38.29%20PM.png

Howdy Placcy,

Thanks so much for the VIdeo, I've got it saved
for when I get mine next year, or when ever the 2016's are out.

I hate not having gauges as well, wonder if there's some very nice gauges
that could be put on??

Thanks again for your time spent making the great video.

Take Care,

CK

Howdy Placcy,

Thanks so much for the VIdeo, I've got it saved
for when I get mine next year, or when ever the 2016's are out.

I hate not having gauges as well, wonder if there's some very nice gauges
that could be put on??

Thanks again for your time spent making the great video.

Take Care,

CK

I have been looking into some gauges and have not found anything yet, it is captured via the dash and have been looking at OBDII sensors that capture temp like this one - http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

Idk if long term use is good as I have heard some having problems with OBDII sensors being plugged in all the time causing issues with the car

7 months later.. this CX-5 is probably getting sold this weekend. Might be a final video on my channel if you keep up with that kind of thing.

yes. unfortunately it is a bad habit. but this was my wifes. she didnt like it much at all. wont get into the reasons here, because this is a love mazda site.

picking up a 2015 Forester XT Touring on Saturday. I saw one today and really liked everything about it. Thanks to all those who have watched all my Mazda videos, and i will have a lot of Subaru videos in the future for anyone wanting to learn about them.

Nice congrats on the new car if I'm not mistaken that is the turbo charged model? I considered Subaru vs. Mazda and overall I like the Mazdas better for the looks and interior. The Subies have a good AWD system from what I have read and watched, very good for snow and off-road driving. I think the most annoying thing for me was that CVT. Could I get over it eventually? Yes, but my heart is with Mazda for now!

here is a video i made showing the features.

I see you have the new mirror sytle with signal light on front of mirror housing. Do you have any issues with wind noise from the new mirrors? I am considering changing mine if less noisy than previous style.

Back