Won't crank

Hey all,

Just got my intake manifold in after fixing the VICS screws and VTCS in with all electrical re-connected.

Everything works, including lights, radio, etc. But the car will not crank at all, I hear a relay click from the front right of the car and thats it.

Pretty much the same situation as if you didn't press the clutch pedal and you tried to crank.

Any ideas?

Your lights and radio may work fine but you may not have enough juice to work the starter, get a boost, if that doesn't work recheck everything you connected

You probably bumped the starter solenoid wire off. It's a small single prong wire on the starter right underneath the intake manifold.

The 2 wires that should be going to the starter are there, I wiggled them around.

I hit the starter with the back of a wrench and played around with the main relay and the relays around it.

I don't know what it was, but it cranks now.

Now to the new problems.

The car doesn't idle, it stays on for about 2 seconds. Pretty much starts and dies immediately. I gave it about 10% gas and it started for a bit longer, like 3 seconds, the accessory belts were screaming and it died again.

I went to the engine bay and it smelled like something was burning. Possibly the coolant that spilled taking the intake in and out?

So before I continue on with diagnosing this issue I wanted to ask something about the VTCS delete. What did you guys do with the solenoid and the actuator for the VTCS system after you removed the flaps?

Belts screaming + smell burning= belt is slipping bad! :O
If you do not find a loose belt, remove the belts and spin the accessories and idlers one by one to see if one is seized...

Check for vacuum leaks on the intake install.

I left the VTCS solenoid on and hooked up. I had only removed the shaft and the butterflies.

Belts screaming + smell burning= belt is slipping bad! :O
If you do not find a loose belt, remove the belts and spin the accessories and idlers one by one to see if one is seized...

Check for vacuum leaks on the intake install.

I left the VTCS solenoid on and hooked up. I had only removed the shaft and the butterflies.

The belts only screamed the first time I reved it a little. It stopped soon after.

How would you check for vacuum leaks without a smoke machine? I can try using a candle or my friend who smokes, but what suggestions do you guys have?

Back