Big Brake Conversion

Agree, the CX5 brakes are excellent in feel and performance for what I use my CX5 for. I will say though that Mazdas sliding calipers seem prone to seizing up. Before this could happen I went through the brakes on both my CX5 and Mazda 5 at about 30,000 miles and the sliders were starting to bind up on both cars. There was also a lot of rust developing on my CX5 rotors and wheel bearing surfaces, which is attributable to all the salt the municipalities use around here in winter. The fix was as simple as taking them apart, cleaning them, applying caliper grease in the appropriate areas, and putting it all back together. The pads were in very good condition.

These problems are actually not unique to Mazda, but happen on a lot of other makes and models. When you think about what brakes are called upon to do, and the fact that they work in the harshest of environments, it's amazing they last as long as they do without failure.

Last edited:
I wont be needing to upgrade the rears with my configuration, Being that I have ABS it should take care of a wheel locking up if there are any issue with bias, EBD .

I doubt that will be enough, especially under moderate braking in any sort of turn. Compare the brake torque for the new front brakes to OEM and increase the friction coefficient of the rear pads a like percentage. Ask Wilwood and take a hard look at Porterfield R-4 carbon pads, some can exceed 0.7u warm and about 0.6u cold. They have great bite and good release, so they modulate well.

If you can keep the ratio of front to rear brake torque similar to stock, the EBD system will function as intended.

If you can keep the ratio of front to rear brake torque similar to stock, the EBD system will function as intended.

I don't think that is actually true. The EBD system is complex and favors rear braking under light brake application. Having significantly more braking torque could require re-programming of the EBD function (even if the ratio front to back hasn't changed).

I don't think that is actually true. The EBD system is complex and favors rear braking under light brake application. Having significantly more braking torque could require re-programming of the EBD function (even if the ratio front to back hasn't changed).

I don't know about needing reprogramming for EBT Mike, manufacturers know that consumers are not always going to use the OEM pads. Of course I'm only making an assumption here so who knows. I guess I'm just saying that I would be surprised if manufactures didn't build in some kind of adjustability within the EBT programming for this. If we are talking about extreme performance track pads though than all bets are off. :)

I don't know about needing reprogramming for EBT Mike, manufacturers know that consumers are not always going to use the OEM pads. Of course I'm only making an assumption here so who knows. I guess I'm just saying that I would be surprised if manufactures didn't build in some kind of adjustability within the EBT programming for this. If we are talking about extreme performance track pads though than all bets are off. :)

Got any mods on that mazda5?

Agree, the CX5 brakes are excellent in feel and performance for what I use my CX5 for. I will say though that Mazdas sliding calipers seem prone to seizing up. Before this could happen I went through the brakes on both my CX5 and Mazda 5 at about 30,000 miles and the sliders were starting to bind up on both cars. There was also a lot of rust developing on my CX5 rotors and wheel bearing surfaces, which is attributable to all the salt the municipalities use around here in winter. The fix was as simple as taking them apart, cleaning them, applying caliper grease in the appropriate areas, and putting it all back together. The pads were in very good condition.

These problems are actually not unique to Mazda, but happen on a lot of other makes and models. When you think about what brakes are called upon to do, and the fact that they work in the harshest of environments, it's amazing they last as long as they do without failure.

This is why I have been following this thread. I don't need better stopping but I would like breaks that don't Seize up after a winter. For now I will grease them every time I swap winter / summer wheels.

Frank

I don't need better stopping but I would like breaks that don't Seize up after a winter. For now I will grease them every time I swap winter / summer wheels.

Frank

That's a good idea if you drive on roads treated with de-icer salts.

Got any mods on that mazda5?

Only upgraded the speakers and recently tires. It doesn't need an other modifications. It truly is a great vehicle. It can swallow more stuff than my CX5 can and handles better too; all for 18,000 new. It's also the vehicle we use most for the every day family things, so reliability is a must. The sliding doors are great for kids to get into and out of. The engine has plenty of grunt, and the transmission works well. We're pretty happy with the way it is.

Only upgraded the speakers and recently tires. It doesn't need an other modifications. It truly is a great vehicle. It can swallow more stuff than my CX5 can and handles better too; all for 18,000 new. It's also the vehicle we use most for the every day family things, so reliability is a must. The sliding doors are great for kids to get into and out of. The engine has plenty of grunt, and the transmission works well. We're pretty happy with the way it is.

Well that's good. Thwre is a local guy with the boosted mz5... saw it at an autocross once; very nice.

Glad the 3 year old thread still is relevant. RIP MikeM. and V8toilet.

I leave the information for who will search about BBK for CX-5 and found this thread.

CX-5 2014 FWD 2.5
Front - AP Racing Pro 5000R 4 Pot with 355 mm rotor.
Rear - Stock with upgrade pads

First I use AP with 330 mm rotors but not enough for instant brake. (Ferodo DS2500 pads). Then change rotors to 355 mm, brake distance is good but the acceleration drop significantly, little but worse than stock with front bias.

Back