Jittery, choppy ride on a '15. Tires, springs or??

Not sure if I have the same issue, but we have a 16.5 AWD Touring 17" stock Yokos and just over 8k miles. It seems like even on brand newly paved roads, the tires (or at least one of the tires) is giving a constant bump-bump-bump, almost loose feeling. I would expect the car to glide fairly smoothly, on smooth surfaces even given the stiffer, more firm ride the CX-5 has. Throw in the fact that when turning the steering wheel, for example, going up our driveway and into garage, I hear and feel almost a rough sound from the tires. It's becoming more concerning and will probably take it into a dealer soon. Add in the downshifting, lurching that is going on is starting to drive me crazy, especially in rush hour traffic going to 35, slowing down to 5mph, and back up there are noticeable lurches between 4th and 3rd, and 2nd and 1st gears.

Not sure if I have the same issue, but we have a 16.5 AWD Touring 17" stock Yokos and just over 8k miles. It seems like even on brand newly paved roads, the tires (or at least one of the tires) is giving a constant bump-bump-bump, almost loose feeling. I would expect the car to glide fairly smoothly, on smooth surfaces even given the stiffer, more firm ride the CX-5 has. Throw in the fact that when turning the steering wheel, for example, going up our driveway and into garage, I hear and feel almost a rough sound from the tires. It's becoming more concerning and will probably take it into a dealer soon. Add in the downshifting, lurching that is going on is starting to drive me crazy, especially in rush hour traffic going to 35, slowing down to 5mph, and back up there are noticeable lurches between 4th and 3rd, and 2nd and 1st gears.

I'm glad you posted this, you're not alone, I thought it was just me and my OCD, I have the same exact symptoms as you describe, I have a 2016.5 GT with 19" , at first I thought it was the larger size wheels and firm ride and just needed to get used to it, rotated tires and still the same, turned out rotors are "warped" I know rotors don;t really warp, but that's the term most people use, I either deposits on the front rotor or the rotors are not even, which ever it was, it was causing pulsing when I braked and all vibrations at highway speeds...... odometer 15,000 miles... good thing I can change out the rotors myself without having to go to dealer.... it helped somwhat with the vibrations during braking but still feel jittery going up hills.

Last edited:

hey jusuchin, did you ever take it in to the dealer and get this resolved.

I have a 2016.5 also and feel the lurching in stop and go traffic and jittering when climbing up hills also.

I took it in the dealer and got the standard "they all drive like that, the suspension is firm for handling so 19" wheels will be rougher ride but trade off is better handling, and there is a grade level meter built so computer knows when there is a hill and kicks in the hill assist system" blah, blah, blah, etc

hey jusuchin, did you ever take it in to the dealer and get this resolved.

I have a 2016.5 also and feel the lurching in stop and go traffic and jittering when climbing up hills also.

I took it in the dealer and got the standard "they all drive like that, the suspension is firm for handling so 19" wheels will be rougher ride but trade off is better handling, and there is a grade level meter built so computer knows when there is a hill and kicks in the hill assist system" blah, blah, blah, etc

Haven't yet... on the to-do list.

This is mostly perspective. I find the '15s ride quality to be near spectacular. If the rear springs were stiffer, ......

What is normally called harshness (your jittery) is tire stiffness and high frequency (high speed) compression damping. The OEM Toyos are rough riding. Try a set of Michelin Premier LTX or BFG Long Trail T/A Tour when the time comes. Also search Tire Racks tire ratings for a tire with the qualities you want.

These may help.
https://www.tirerack.com/suspension...5&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=Grand+Touring+AWD

Last edited:
Back