CX-5 - 32mpg at 80mph !!

:
2014.5 2.5L Touring /w bose
Really found out how sensitive the CX-5 is to high winds at high speeds on long trip.
Most amazing was 32mpg at 80mph!

Ran three legs of ~150 miles and resetting AVG of MPG for each. All were at 80mph but wind was different on each run.
o Run1 - 20mph tail wind with strong gusts - 32.0mpg @ 80mph
o Run2 - 10mph head wind - 22.5mpg @80mph
0 Run 3- no wind - 27.0mpg @ 80mph

The CX-5 MPG is extremely sensitive to winds. Never had a car like this.
I'm sure the effect would be much less if I had hadn't been in a hurry and pushed the 75mph legal limit.

Last edited:
CUV's are new too me. It's my first, as most of my cars were sports cars. I would think the less aerodynamic a car is the more impact wind will have on it's performance. When I owned my vette, I hardly noticed the wind affected the performance or mpg.

I have a 2014.5 Touring with 2.5L.
Really found out how sensitive the CX-5 is to high winds at high speeds on long trip.
Most amazing was 32mpg at 80mph!

Ran three legs of 100-200 miles each with AVG of MPG. Each was at 80mph but wind was different on each run.
o Run1 - 20mph tail wind with strong gusts - 32.0mpg @ 80mph
o Run2 - 10mph head wind - 22.5mpg @80mph
0 Run 3- no wind - 27.0mpg @ 80mph

The CX-5 MPG is extremely sensitive to winds. Never had a car like this.
I'm sure the effect would be much less I had hadn't been in a hurry and pushed the 75mph legal limit.

You will also see a difference if you're changing altitude over time, ie uphill away from a coast

Yup, wind will kill your mileage. The CX-5 is also a lot more sensitive to changes in speed than my last car. If I drive at 75-80mph in the CX-5 I'll get around 27-28 assuming no wind compared to 30-32 when going 65-70mph. My last car I maybe lost 1mpg when going from 70 to 80mph. Downsides to an SUV and a smaller 4cyl engine I suppose.

this is why i could not be more excited to move out of Utah. The wind here is stupid consistent and kills my mpg.

Only 3 weeks to go.

this is why i could not be more excited to move out of Utah. The wind here is stupid consistent and kills my mpg.

Only 3 weeks to go.

Look at the bright side. You will have tail winds and head winds. Should cancel out.

Not just the CX-5. Consumer reports did a test with an Accord and found similar (large) losses for every 5mph increase in speed. Don't have the figures with me, but is was a lot.

Back