First Start Oil Leak / Problems

chris.mp5

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5 2.0
Hey guys! My Protege5 has been stored in my garage for a good 9 months now. Never had problems prior to when it was stored. I thought everything was good until the belt was making a 3 second whining sound. Then I spotted a small drips of brownish oil. I was trying to locate the source but it was difficult because I didn't have my floor jack around. All I know the majority of the small drips was forming below the spring bolt / flange area. Also there was a single drip below the oil pan. When I do get my tools back, where should I look? Could it be the oil pan gasket? Oil filter? ... where else should I be looking for. Doesn't look like anything leaking around the valve cover. Suggestions so I know heads up when I jack up the car. Thanks a bunch :)

Might be the front crank shaft seal. Mine leaks. It's not an easy replacement because it is behind the timing belt.

If it has been sitting for 9 months, just give it some time before tearing into it.

Thanks for the info :) il look out for the crank shaft seal. Any other suggestions I should look out for? Also what do you mean by giving it some time?

thanks again :)

it could be timing cover leaking, it could be the filter as well, if the filter was on 4 nine months i would just do an oil change and replace that filter anyway, at minimum it will take out one of the suspect areas, a picture of the leak area would help us help you immensely

it could be timing cover leaking, it could be the filter as well, if the filter was on 4 nine months i would just do an oil change and replace that filter anyway, at minimum it will take out one of the suspect areas, a picture of the leak area would help us help you immensely

I was thinking of doing that. Kinda hard because il be moving soon so I got no time. Wish I could just drive her, but looks like I gotta tow. Anyways il post up a pic when I can. All I can say is that the majority of the drips travelled down below the spring bolt flange. Plus little drops under the front of the oil pan. Anyways thanks again! Il get pictures soon.

It was difficult without a floor jack but I manage to snap a few pics / awkward angle. Hope this is the main source. Looks like its the oil pan gasket. Hard to tell if there's something else leaking above it though. Sorry for the picture quality. So much rust wow.

hsnpfs.jpg

2s13af6.jpg

24vmcco.jpg

yeah that looks to me like the oil pan gasket may have shrunk while in storage and now its leaking, i would start there, just think, replacing seals cant hurt so even if it doesnt fix your issue, it may prevent more down the road

Thread revival! Never had a chance to work on my car till now. Snow just hit, can't slack now lol. Anyways, finally dropped my oil pan, cleaned it up and getting everything prepped. I looked closely under the car and noticed there was a trace of oil by upper oil pan block. Pretty sure oil can't travel upwards from lower gasket lol anyone had upper part leaked before? Also can anyone explain to me why does it make a breif whining noise from start up?

Back