03 Protege ES Wont Start

ki.forum

:
2003 Mazda Protege ES
Every now and then, whenever I try starting my car - nothing is happening. It's like 1/10 is the only chance it starts. It is the triptonic automatic trans. New battery. When trying to start the car, I only hear clicks around shifter or ecu area. My previous experience with the car not starting was solve by pressing the button on the very right side of the shifter that allows me to switch to other gear without the key on. Tried changing gear from P to D and back and forth. And first attempt started the car. But now, I tried everything, wiggle it, switch back and forth but still not starting. Also this might be helpful but at normal startup, it takes about 5 cranks/cycles to finally start the car (like the engine turns 5 times then start, not 5 times of ignition-on). Anything should I check? Fuel is full btw. BAttery is good as well as cables are nice clean and tight. Need help. The car started this morning before work but dont want this to happen again after work. I dont wanna get stuck here.

PS: The P is highlighted(boxed) when in park gear, same with the others, so I am not sure if it is the park gear indicator thats preventing the car from starting.

Last edited:
Wow no replies? this part of the forum seems dead.... I am no expert but the same day you posted this I wanted to see if I could find something in the owner's manual. In the "starting the car" instructions there was a section that talks about "flooded engines", they provide a fix for this too. Like I said I don't know much about cars, therefore I don't know if this is the cause of your problem. But have a look if you haven't tried this yet. Good Luck! and... nice ride!

Last edited:
Yeah it's best to post in the P5 forum if you need help with an N/A protege. Honestly my car has been doing something similar for about a year now, sometimes when you hop in everything will light up normal but when you turn the key nothing happens, the starter doesn't engage. But if you try it again it always starts by the 3-4th attempt if not sooner. Sometimes I have to hold the key for a second, but it never does it very often nor does the car leave me stranded. I think it's the ignition switch or the starter solenoid wearing out.

The car may just need a good tune-up

Just an update. I finally got it to work. On my case, I went to check all the fuse/relay and they seem fine. Next is checked the wiring. I tried looking at the top of the engine removing my intake, its a PITA. No luck looking at the top side. I cant seem to find it looking above. So I put the car on jack stands - another PITA for lowered vehicles. Better with ramp but I dont have ramps for lowered cars. There I found the starter + solenoid. There is a boot/cover for the connections. Apparently, the nut for the terminal S I believe was very loose that when I lift the cover, the nut dropped on my face. While there, I sanded the connections, can be hard, then tightened back. Vehicle started right at first attempt. Heres a little diagram. Forgot to take pic. Sorry for my bad paint skills.

protege-starter.PNG

Hey guys, my car has a delay before it starts to crank. Thinking it could be the starter relay - does anyone have pics of where it is located? The image from the 2014 post is gone.

i fixed the 'click no start' problem by tightening my alternator belt, but I just tested my alternator and result was bad internal regulator so I imagine it had to do with the charge my battery was holding

Back