pmartz16's new (to me) 1992 brilliant black miata

Looks so much better! I knew it would clean up, I can't wait to see it in person.

While you're at it, can you clean up my wheels? ;) Haha.

Haha that was the plan. He used like a T80 with these lugs and didn't give me the bit so now I have to find something to get the wheels off. And buy some normal lugs while I'm at it

I pulled off the Valve cover, intake mani, fuel rail, AFM housing, throttle body, and some little bits and pieces to get PC'd or blasted so they look better. It was nice to have an engine to mess with again now that I haven't been doing much with the ms3. The old blown motor will not come out until I have the new one there and ready to go so I can use the old one as a road map for the new one. Also figured out that it looks like its going to be a b**** to do oil changes because of where the filter is at. Once I got the intake mani off I could see some of the carnage from the motor blowing.
14378897937_ddd0cbd614_c.jpg

14585431303_57493e429d_c.jpg

14563666254_7434986f74_c.jpg

Looks like something happened down there....
14563663464_0d8b3100fd_c.jpg

Yeah I don't like that filter, it was a pain in the MSM. We'll see how this one is, but I might end up getting a relocation kit

The NB has so much more "stuff" in the engine. Pablo's will be a piece of cake without the A/C hard lines in the way. Patrick's will be a bit of a challenge, but as long as you can fit your hand/forearm between the A/C hard lines and the intake mani you should be fine. I never had an issue with it when I had A/C with my fat hands.

To keep your oil from going all over the suspension when changing the oil filter simply make a drain "gutter" out of a piece of aluminum foil about a foot long and stick it under the oil filter a direct it to the drain pan.

To keep your oil from going all over the suspension when changing the oil filter simply make a drain "gutter" out of a piece of aluminum foil about a foot long and stick it under the oil filter a direct it to the drain pan.

Damn you're smart Haha, thanks for the tip Marc!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You have small arms, it's not hard to change the oil. If you are REALLY concerned about it, take the intake mani brace off and leave it off.

Also: nothing happened down there, that's from oil changes.

You have small arms, it's not hard to change the oil. If you are REALLY concerned about it, take the intake mani brace off and leave it off.

Also: nothing happened down there, that's from oil changes.

I have to get a picture of where the motor blew. Its right there and there is little metal chunks and shavings all over in that picture. But thanks. I thought about getting rid of that bracket but I don't like the idea of it not there

on the NB's I get to the oil filter by taking the pass. side front tire off and going thru the suspension that's the "easy way" is it the same on NA's or can you get to it from the engine bay?

It's easier to get to it through the engine bay on an NA. There is way less stuff in the engine bay on a 1.6.

So I made some progress on the miata this weekend. Friday I picked up another engine with 83k miles (found out last night that it had just had the tb/wp replaced as all those parts are brand new).
On Saturday I met up with Jake and picked up Evan's engine hoist and got the head off the motor that came with the car. The piston was not what I wanted to see but it was broken in half and had smacked the valves in the head. So I got new valves (2 intake, 2 exhaust) and all new seals for the valves to replace those. Once that is replaced then I will be able to put the good head on the new motor bottom end (the motor I picked up had something happen to the exhaust cam which caused it to almost melt in the oil channel at the front of the motor.
Sunday I got the motor almost all the way out. I got everything other than one last bolt on the tranny which I now have a couple ideas on how to get out. There is a bracket in the way that is keeping me from seating the sockets I was using on it.
I picked up an intake for the car from a friend of a friend and so that is officially the first part I have bought for the car haha. I have all new coolant hoses from Mazda sitting in the living room waiting to go in. Also got a deal worked out where I will be getting my dream wheels, a set of 15x7 bronze 6UL's! I will be ordering Hankook R-S3 V2's in 195/50/15 for these.
I get a lot of parts today. I get the new thermostat, oil filter, clutch alignment tool, couple gaskets, and new tail lights!
Later this week I will get my new clutch, clutch cover, timing stuff, thermal insulated intake mani gasket, random seals, head gasket, NGK spark plugs and wires, and probably some random stuff I am forgetting.

Last edited:
Some nice progress! Wish I could say the same on my end. The new rad is still sitting in my shed.

Should you use that aluminum foil trick for the oil changes, be careful when pulling it out. The foil ripped on me and most of the oil it caught ended up spilling down in that area anyway. :/ I've used that trick over the years on our old MPV, bro-in-laws Tribute (on both vehicles the oil would drip all over the downpipe when removing the filter) and my sis-in-laws Pilot (oil spills all over the front subframe).

Great score on those 6ULs you lucky bastard (read the details over in the OH thread). :p I'd love to get bronze but the wifey is against it. Wondering how that new Tungsten color on the gen4s will look in person. On the site the pics look the same as the silver.

I just love the look of the bronze on a black NA. I was going to have to settle on something I didn't want just so I could get some wheels and tires but glad that I am not wasting any money!

The 6UL bronze is a great color too. It is going to be an awesome combo.

couple updates:
Got a bunch of packages in the mail but haven't really dug into them as its nothing too exciting.
I did get the new tail lights though:
14474241919_6c9d4ec9f0_c.jpg

I got the timing kit, oil filter, thermostat, tail lights, coolant hoses, couple gaskets, spark plugs and wires, and head gasket.
I'm still waiting on comp mounts, clutch, clutch cover, and some random rubber plugs from Mazda and the Thermal insulated gasket for the intake manifold from 949 racing.
I ended up getting a full motor to replace the motor in the car for $40. The head is no good but the head that came with the car is fine so I am just swapping over the heads and I will be good to go. Also the wheels I ordered for the guy trading me the 6UL's for will be here next Tuesday so I will be meeting with him next Saturday (7/26) in order to swap wheels.
14482629070_ceed95b675_c.jpg

14637905626_803db0ff73_c.jpg

14660887435_9460c368ea_c.jpg

14474245439_8262f24db7_c.jpg

poopy camera is poopy
14680794763_3d6aa34831_c.jpg

Sho if you want to add the picture you took the other day that would be nice. 13 megapixel camera is sexy can't wait to get one!

Glad you figured out how to work the engine hoist, newb. ;)

shut up. I misunderstood the directions I was given. But I got it now! all under control.
dont-panic-i-have-it-under-control.jpg

lol! Just busting your balls.

Glad to see you're making fast progress. :)

Back