Recharging AC on My P5

Bebotech

:
2002 MP5
So I recently found that my wife's P5 had a broken AC hose which caused the system to loose all of the Freon. I will be replacing the hose today thanks to my friend Neaspeed who was able to supply this hose. Now the question is, does anyone have a how to recharge the AC system at home type of guide? I called a local shop and now and days they want $200 to flush and recharge the system. I can rent a vacuum pump but, do not know where to install a pressure gauge to make sure the system has no air in it. I also wanted to know if is was better to buy the Freon with the oil inside and how many cans should I get with oil? I do not want to put more oil than what is needed. Any input will be really appreciated.

Since I am a cheap bastard I went with the recharge kit from Wal-Mart. The Freon had the oil in it as well as a stop leak. It blows cold so I am happy.

Sounds good but, what about the purging of the system since it has been sucking air for who know how long?

Mine had a leak and was dry for about 3months... just ran a jumper wire from the where the ac relay on circuit is to power to activate the clutch to then immediately add refrigerant with oil and since the oil is in it you don't want the compressor running without any for any length of time.

Ok, so jump the compressor that way the clutch activates and add Freon quickly, is that what you recommend?

Owners Manual 18oz of R134A. You'll want to pull a vacuum on the system before charging to get all of the air out and to verify you dont have leaks.

Well your system won't function properly if you have air and moisture in the system.It might end up costing you more money and more hastle to do it yourself if you have to buy gauges.

So I went ahead and charged the system with a can of Freon, Oil plus sealant. Good news is the compressor kicked on and the cooling fan did as well. The bad news is, is not cold enough. Now the gauge is telling me that it needs more refrigerant. The way I did it was I charged the system and then it started to act weird (compressor would turn on and off in a matter of seconds) so while I was charging at the high end, I opened the low side simultaneously till refrigerant came out of that side (not a lot). I don't know how good this works but the compressor started working normal after that and now the charging gauge is telling me that I need more Freon. If anyone has any more pointers they will be appreciated.

Are cars probably have a low psi cut out. That’s why you need to charge the high side first. Once you charge the high side you can proceed to charge the low side. The reason your compressor was making a wierd noise was due to liquid refrigerant flooding the compressor. When charging the high side you need to open the valve slowly. The purpose of a compressor is to pump and raise psi. compressors are mechanical with valves that can be damaged from trying to compress a liquid.

For one you should have leak checked with nitrogen before charging. Nitrogen helps absorb un wanted moisture in the system.

Two you need to pull a vacuum, your A/C will not function properly if you don’t.

If you charge your system to the correct weight of 18oz of R134a and your system still blows warm air you need to clean your condenser coil.

Also Freon is a brand name not a refrigerant type.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all your input. I will try the charging the low side today. It is blowing colder air than before so I believe is going to work a little. Maybe not like a professional grade but, enough to help a bit. Like I mentioned before the gauge shows that there is a need for refrigerant so I will be adding a little today. The compressor did not make a noise it just kicked on and off really fast until I released a bit of pressure through the low side while charging through the high side.

Ok, so my system is charged now and the difference is noticeable. However now the compressor is doing a weird sound that goes away when the car is accelerated. Can someone help?

Latest posts

Back