Should I buy this Protege5? Please help!!!

Gov_E

:
2003 P5 (looking)
Hey everyone! New here, longtime poster on Acura/Honda/VW sites...

Ran across an ad on CL that looked pretty promising, going for a test drive tomorrow with cash in hand. Did all the research I could, but I'm here because I need your help!

Mechanically it seems sound, 105K, in Florida the last 5 years, hasn't hit NYC streets for more than a week (thank god). My biggest concern is rust, but the hatch looks fine, the rear wheel wells are juuust barely starting to bubble...some rust on corners of doors, and under the hood, but it doesn't look too bad (for now???).

Can I get your guys opinion? If this works out, I hope to be a regular poster here! Thanks so much everyone.
1LY1snbl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
WaZCD0Tl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
UQIEBsSl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
gU7hkgkl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

If anyone is interested in more detailed photos or something from another angle, let me know I took a bunch.

Biggest spot of rust is on the left side under the hood by the...motor mount? I'm unfamiliar with Mazda setups.

Thanks!

how much are they asking? have you run a carfax? that car seems to have more rust than i would expect from a florida car, where was it before that? do they have service records? timing belt done?

He wanted $5500, but it sounds like I have him down to the low 3K range. Originally an Ohio car, been in Florida the last 6 years. Timing belt has been changed, original clutch/water pump. Totally clean carfax, no issues other than potential rust.

What do you think?

Thanks!

He wanted $5500, but it sounds like I have him down to the low 3K range. Originally an Ohio car, been in Florida the last 6 years. Timing belt has been changed, original clutch/water pump. Totally clean carfax, no issues other than potential rust.

What do you think?

Thanks!

I bought an all white p5 with 160k miles, 5spd sunroof and same rust as that one for $2200 in NJ on June 7th, a word of advice even if the timing belt was done I would have it done again since it still has the original water pump and because I never trust anyone with what they say they just did to their car, you might as well replace it and the clutch and while your at it the front and rear main seals since the key items will be off (except the flywheel) that is if you do buy the car

Back