06 Mazda5 suspension upgrade opinion

cplhornby

:
2006, MAZDA5 sport, 5spd
Goodday!

I have had to replace my front and rear shocks multiple times since moving to my new city. Hills and potholes litter the landscape here and eat up most vehicles.

I have noticed that my rear springs are starting to rust, and with almost certainty I will be doing a rear shock replacement before winter, so I might as well change the coils then. I have seen airbag systemsbut they are cost prohibited.

In your honest opinions, is there anything I can do to lower the amount of times I have to change my suspensions, both front and rear? Someone at work told me to get a lift kit, but I am not a fan of "jacked up rides".

Thoughts on the matter?

Thanks!

Will

Details are a good thing. You say you have replaced your shocks/struts multiple times. What units have you been using? OE? As for the springs, starting in 2010, they put stiffer springs on the car, and they are backwards compatible. That may help with the life of your rear shocks some esp if you carry loads often.

I bought the car as a lease return in 2009 or 10. Ive had the shocks changed a few times using OEM and monroe parts. Wife lost my Monroe recipes too so both times Ive used those I couldnt use the warranty. That was my fault, Im storing that stuff in my fire safe now XD.

I have not changed the springs yet, but I am going to as I have a break job coming up. Should I use the OEM shocks from a 2010 mazda5? Or is there a better aftermarket brand? Is it just the rear shocks they changed or did they do the front as well? Ive had to do my fronts a few times as well.

Any thoughts on that monroe all-in-one quick strut?

Thanks!

I bought the car as a lease return in 2009 or 10. Ive had the shocks changed a few times using OEM and monroe parts. Wife lost my Monroe recipes too so both times Ive used those I couldnt use the warranty. That was my fault, Im storing that stuff in my fire safe now XD.

I have not changed the springs yet, but I am going to as I have a break job coming up. Should I use the OEM shocks from a 2010 mazda5? Or is there a better aftermarket brand? Is it just the rear shocks they changed or did they do the front as well? Ive had to do my fronts a few times as well.

Any thoughts on that monroe all-in-one quick strut?

Thanks!
For the rear go with KYB Gas-A-Just mono-tube shocks and replace your rear coil springs with those from a 2012 and newer model. The KYB GAJ shocks are a way better alternative to the regular KYB Excel-G, Monroes, and definitely OEM shocks. The 2012 and newer MZ5 coil springs are a lot beefier and stronger then 06-10 MZ5 ones.

You might want to research speed3 springs as well for spring rate and fitment. I put a set on my 06 MZ3 with no issues. Stiffer spring and a slight ride height drop. I am pretty sure the 5's suspension is the same. You might be able to pick up a set from the for sale section cheap.

For the rear go with KYB Gas-A-Just mono-tube shocks and replace your rear coil springs with those from a 2012 and newer model. The KYB GAJ shocks are a way better alternative to the regular KYB Excel-G, Monroes, and definitely OEM shocks. The 2012 and newer MZ5 coil springs are a lot beefier and stronger then 06-10 MZ5 ones.

So you're saying that the 2012 and later models' springs will fit my car (06Mazda5)?

Dumb question here but isn't a shock's function more as a spring "damper", rather than actual shock absorption? So a stiffer spring, i.e. one with a higher spring rate, could potentially be harder on a shock, or maybe I'm completely mistaken.

Exact-omundo! If you replace springs that are of a higer rate than the design of your current shock, your ride will be bouncy due to the shock not keeping up with the spring-rate. Then, they overheat and die. Im a noob to the 5, but if the spring and damper from the newer fit, go for the full combo and hope mazda fixed the problems.

Back