Oil overfilled by dealer

zorobg

Contributor
:
CX-5 GS
I just had my first oil change (4mo., 3400km as per Schedulle 2 here in Canada) the other day. As we're going on a long trip on Monday I thought I should make a note of the oil level so I can get an idea if the engine is burning any oil when we get back. To my surprise the level was over an 1/2 inch above the full mark. As my driveway has a bit of a slope I moved the car to the street which is fairly level, waited the recommended time, measured and got the same result. It looks to me is's so overfilled that the car level does not make much difference in the oil level measurement. I have always done my oil changes before and this is the first time I let someone change do it for me, shame on me for not checking it right away. It's common knowledge and the manual clearly states that oil overfill could cause engine damage; has anyone had this experience with their CX-5 and what could the damage be? From the odometer it looks that the car has been driven for about 50km since the oil change (+ another 15 to take to the dealer on Monday); is that enough for concern?

Damage from over-filling is more likely if the engine has been run at high rpm in hot weather.

Owners shouldn't have to check the level after a professional oil change but theory is not the same as reality. Careless attitudes seem much more common over the last two decades than I ever witnessed previously. For that reason I always check my oil level after someone else changes it (although I will be doing my own changes from here on out after my last dealer experience).

I was traveling x-country when my Ford F-150 needed it's first change. I scheduled one at a respected S. Dakota Ford dealership and as I delivered the truck I instructed the service writer to mention to the tech that I had the 4.6L engine which takes 1 less quart than the more common 5.4L engine. He looked at me funny and told me the techs know how much oil each engine needs. I told him all I was requesting was that he mention this to the tech to make sure.

When I picked up the vehicle it was way over-filled (1 quart). They had to drain it out. Unbelievable incompetence on at least two different levels.

Oh, and if you don't see any obvious trouble this has caused just have the dealer remove the extra oil and document in case there is a future issue that can be attributed to their negligence.

Perfect time for this to happen; we have mini heatwave here with temperature heading upwards of 30C. At least I tend not to race the engine at high RPM's. Here is a picture of the dip stick.

Attachments

• IMG_20140628_194807.jpg
    IMG_20140628_194807.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 519
Overfilling can cause oil frothing which could lead to improper lubrication and engine failure. However, it happens if it is beyond a certain threshold, where the crankshaft can touch the oil. I don't know what is that threshold in the CX-5. If you already traveled much with this overfill it is probably fine. You probably would have some froth on the dipstick if this was the case (and you do not), but I'd go to the dealer and demand they fix it anyway.

I don't know what the threshold for over-filling a CX-5 is either. But I would be willing to bet that the Skyactiv focus on optimum mpg has the recommended crankcase oil level at a minimum to reduce fluid friction.

As much as I disapprove of over-filling, I doubt it caused any damage based on your easy-normal driving for a short distance (and lack of any evidence of problems).

I find it quite irritating that you take your vehicle to a dealer, pay top dollar, for "professional" service and find engines overfilled with oil, tires not rotated per manual and a host of other, I DON'T CARE SERVICE PERSONNEL. I have always preformed my own oil changes, brake jobs, shock replacement and a few valve jobs. Now at 76 years old, I'm finding it increasing difficult to do some of these jobs and it is scary, to consider letting a dealer do these services. Ed

I'm totally with you Ed. Since I bought my first car, this is the first time I let someone change the oil for me; I've done all the maintenance and repairs on my cars for the last 13 years. Since this is my first new car I thought I would stick with the dealer for a while until I made sure there are no major issues with the car. The rational was, the savings from doing my own service were not significant to offset the grief they would no doubt try to give me should something wrong goes with the power train. I'm seriously starting to re-think my position on that; I'm sure I can service the car as well as them, and from I've seen so far quiet possibly better.

I'm totally with you Ed. Since I bought my first car, this is the first time I let someone change the oil for me; I've done all the maintenance and repairs on my cars for the last 13 years. Since this is my first new car I thought I would stick with the dealer for a while until I made sure there are no major issues with the car. The rational was, the savings from doing my own service were not significant to offset the grief they would no doubt try to give me should something wrong goes with the power train. I'm seriously starting to re-think my position on that; I'm sure I can service the car as well as them, and from I've seen so far quiet possibly better.
When I bought this car the most I had ever did to a car myself as change the cabin air filter. After I did my first oil change there is no reason why I would pay a shop to do so, unless maybe they were having some super cheap sale (or dealer free promos). A lot of that stuff is way easier than you would think.

Next oil change I will begin my own schedule. The last change at the dealer I thought they did a good job overall, but I spent an 1 1/2 hour wait in a full waiting room at 7 am on a Saturday morning. Saturday's is about the only spare time I have to go to the dealer, but I am not going to sit there again for that long for an oil change that cost a lot money even when using a Castrol rebate check. Plus the dealership has me on the 5,000 mile schedule and I think when I start my own routine I will switch to Schedule 1. I live in Georgia and I am not driving it that hard.

I purchased the Fumoto valve and three Mazda filters. I just need to find a nearby place that will take used oil.
Last checked for the same synthetic Castrol oil was ~$25 for 5 qt. jug at Walmart.

I checked a Castrol quick lube shop near my work (much closer than the dealership and would be a whole lot faster) they want $75 for an oil change using the same oil......Yikes!!

I just need to get back into the groove to saving time and money with DIY.

I find it quite irritating that you take your vehicle to a dealer, pay top dollar, for "professional" service and find engines overfilled with oil, tires not rotated per manual and a host of other, I DON'T CARE SERVICE PERSONNEL. I have always preformed my own oil changes, brake jobs, shock replacement and a few valve jobs. Now at 76 years old, I'm finding it increasing difficult to do some of these jobs and it is scary, to consider letting a dealer do these services. Ed

I too, am with you Ed. Being a technician for so many years I got to see the ins and outs of the operation. Back when I first started (doing tires and lube at age 18) there was a standard, and all the higher technicians knew what they were doing and were very intelligent about their work. I was fortunate to learn from them, and set my standards as they did as I worked my way up. In my last years as a pro, I was seeing a trend of hiring almost anyone off the street and trying to train them. But, many just don't have a mechanical mindset so they were never going to deeply evolve into great diagnostic technicians. And, now as you see, it's just as bad, if not worse. It's pretty sad really, mechanics were already getting a bad rep for ripping people off and not doing their job well, and I was fighting mightily to change peoples opinion about that with my work, but alas their reps now are pretty much down the drain. My advice to everyone who does not do their own work- find a knowledgeable mechanic that cares, dealer or non-dealer, AND STICK WITH HIM/HER. Take care of them when they do good work. If they leave their job to go to another place, follow them there if possible.
I just need to find a nearby place that will take used oil.
your local Walmart will take your used oil, but charges $5 fee. Advanced, Autozone, and I believe O'Reillys will take it for no charge, at least in my area. (thumb)

Back